5th wheel towing

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey guys im looking to trade my lil 28 ft 5th wheel for a 40 ft 5th wheel and was wondering how my truck would do towing somthing that big and i know it wont to it fast but can it handle that much strain the guy thats selling the 40 ft says much truck wont pull it but hes on glue and does not own an proved and tested IDI!!!Do I need to hydrostop it first and add a disc brake rear axel i have slotted and drilled rotors in the front super duty coils and bilstien shocks and would i need air bags any info would help alot thanks

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
You have not said if you have a dually or not. So I'm reading what your truck is and I'm thinking its a single rear wheel extra cab. That will "move" the 40 ft 5th wheel but thats all it will do. It can't possibliy stop it traveling down any of the larger grades around the country. With 4.10 gears you will be able to move the 5th wheel but really not much more. Even a dually will 4.10 gear will have issues.

Puller

Puller
Reaction score
What's the new trailer weigh? How tall is it?

Are you a weekend warrior or do you go cross country and what type of terrain do you travel over?Air bags are awesome and a given when towing pin heavy. The most important thing is making sure the trailer brakes are working great and can lock up if needed. You never count on the truck for stopping the trailer unless its an emergency.

I grossed 26k to 28k on a daily basis with my 95 PS 5 speed when I first got started in hot shotting (ran it for over 250k everyday with little problems). It did it slowly and I wouldn't have wanted to haul in the big mountains with it but it managed in WV, KY, TN which has some moderate grades. Although not apples to apples pulling 20k with this truck is kind've like pulling 12k to 14k with an IDI.

You must be registered for see images attach

Puller

Puller
Reaction score
I do drag this trailer around my house with my F250 IDI unloaded (it weighs 12,500 empty).

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok so if i hydrostopped it and added rear disc would that help? Yes im just a single wheel so if the brakes are upgraded will that make it safe or am i going to be lacking power by alot i only tow at 50 55 tops never anymore im getting 14 15 mpg with me 28 ft but i need the 40ft to live in and it wouldnt get towed alot but would be nice if i could travel to my dads in Missouri. Also i have a spacer kit to put duals on my truck that my dad made cause he converts all his e-350 vans to duallys so would that help?

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive pulled the mountains in Tn and Ky there huge my dads e-350 pullin close to 22k

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
holy $%^&, that is a big trailer.

yes, h-boost would be a great idea. IF your rear brakes are adjusted right then they "should" stop better than disc simply b/c of more friction surface.

the thing that caught my eye in you OP, superduty coils. do you have any pics of the before and after? what was needed for install?

Puller

Puller
Reaction score
You would want a dually because of the S/A and tires only being rated at around 6400k payload. The trailer you posted has 2700#'s of kingpin weight without being loaded so close to 4k of pin weight loaded with water & gear depending on were the tanks are. You are asking for blowouts running a S/A with load range e tires. Any improvement in the brake area is a good idea especially if your traveling over the long grades out west with no engine brake. Disk brakes are much better than most any drum brake in the towing world, surface area or not. It will do the job but I wouldn't recommend it for the long hauling as there are better alternatives out there.

I go to the Sema & Barrett Jackson in Vegas, Arizona every year with this set-up which has no exhaust brake. The downhill grades have to be driven with care or you won't have any brakes left at the bottom of the long grades. This truck was even under powered grossing 26k through Co & Parts of AZ.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
lucky dog, you get to go to sema. my teacher in school was at the latest sema show representing out school and our drag car.

that is probly about the size of the trailer the school has. they have a f-350 cclb, drw 6.4L psd to tow it.

Puller

Puller
Reaction score
Had one of those 6.4 piles of junk. Ford bought it back after 30k from me. Nice truck for the weekend warrior but not a work truck for sure. Loved the truck not the motor or transmission.

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I have before and after pics I will post as soon as my comp will let me I'm on an iPhone and you need a spring clamp thing and that's it I took my sway bar off to for off roading in the desert and they raised my truck about 2 in considering I had the stock 89 sping with 3 or 400k on em and were sagging so it leveled it nicely an rides great with my piggy back/resivor bilsteins 5160 series I believe

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also found adjustable camber joints and I've thought about using a 2in lift super duty coil from procomp but it's good for now

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin