5'er tire question

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
The 5th wheel we are getting will have new rubber under it, before we pull it off the lot. My question is.... Are 16" LT tires ok to use? All the ST rated tires I've found, are made in china and that's not an option for me. I've had too many friends with these "Time bombs" that went-off.

If my dealer cannot find American made ST's in the 16" size, would American made LT's be Ok?

spg

Big Red
Reaction score
ST trailer tires usually have a higher load rating than LT tires. So it depends on the amount of weight you are carrying.

aaklingler

Reaction score
My grandfather runs the tire on his cattle trailer that were on his truck, 235 85 16 firestone transforce load range E and I can remember of him ever blowing one.

spg

Big Red
Reaction score
If you can fit a 235/85-16 the Michelin XPS Rib is a very good tire. Rated at 3042 # load rating.

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
Thanks for the link Calvin!

I looked at the Denman website and couldn't find any info on the country of origin. A quick call to Denman got me an answer from Angie, in customer service.

She told me that the tires are made in china, but to their specs. She also told me that they have a 5-year warranty. When I asked what that warranty would cover, she said that if the tire blows out because of a defect, that they would pay for any resulting damages.

She then pointed me to their warranty page and said that all of my questions would be answered. She was right...

Their warrant very specifically lists which of their tires are covered. Trailer tires are not included in that list.

Further down, the warranty states that Denman shall not be held liable for incidental or consequential damages, due to a defect in their tires.

Hmmmm... makes one wonder....

spg

Big Red
Reaction score
What is the weight rating on your axles? 4 x 3042# = 12,168# of tire capacity. 12,500# less your tounge weight would be your axle load.

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
What is the weight rating on your axles? 4 x 3042# = 12,168# of tire capacity. 12,500# less your tongue weight would be your axle load.

It's got 7,000lb axles on it.. The trailer's GVWR is 12,500. Wouldn't you have to use the GVWR in the equation and not what's left after you've hitched up?

33' er, I would like to think it would have 3 axles under it . :dunno

Nope... Tandems only.. Twin 7,000lb axles.

spg

Big Red
Reaction score
235/16 ST tires are right at 3500# ea. 4 = 14000#. 4 tires equal axle capacity which is ideal. GVWR is the total weight of trailer and load. Usually about 15% of the load is on the hitch on a 5th wheel leaving the rest of the load on the axles. 15% of 12500# = 1875# which is aprox tounge load. 10625# would be aprox axle load at max loaded weight. Theese are aproximations and will vary with your total loaded weight and percentage of tounge weight. The 4 XPS ribs @ 12168# should be enough for your axle load. What tire did the manufacturer install on the trailer new and what do they reccomend as a replacement? Not brand but rating.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
no matter what part of the load will be on the pin when hooked up, and when not hooked up the wieght will be on the jacks.
so the axles in theory will not see 12500 on their own

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
no matter what part of the load will be on the pin when hooked up, and when not hooked up the weight will be on the jacks.
so the axles in theory will not see 12500 on their own

Thanks Nick!

We ended up getting the Carlisle 235/80-16 LRE tires, with a load capacity of 3,420lbs each.

We picked up the 5'er today and our first stop was the Cat scales...

Steers: 4,780lbs

Drives: 5,760lbs

Trailer axles: 8,220lbs

GCVW: 18,760lbs

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a little late, but good luck on the Carlisle tires. IMHO they are about the worst tires on the market. Just make sure you have a good jack for tire changing.

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
This is a little late, but good luck on the Carlisle tires. IMHO they are about the worst tires on the market. Just make sure you have a good jack for tire changing.

I hear ya... We had no idea which tires they were putting on.. I just told them no "China bombs!"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance