5 speed gearshift lever questions...

adrianspeeder

USAF C-17 Avionics
Reaction score
The Warden said:
Thank you for confirming that :) But, is there a different insert (for instance, it was mentioned that a Dodge gearshift insert may fit) that'll go into the stock knob?

I would think the little disk with the numbers could be popped off. I think I remember someone having it spin around and they had to superglue it on, but they might have ment the whole knob. Better yet, put a knob from a transfer case on there and really confuse people...

Adrianspeeder

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
adrianspeeder said:
I would think the little disk with the numbers could be popped off. I think I remember someone having it spin around and they had to superglue it on, but they might have ment the whole knob.
The disk with the numbers is the insert I was talking about. Sorry for the confusion. :) It pops out fairly easily, if you don't plan to re-use the knob. The insert has little teeth on the bottom that correspond to teeth on the knob, to keep the insert from spinning around once it's installed.

I replaced the knob on my T-19 gearshift lever shortly after I got the truck, and re-used the old insert by doing this. The big key to getting the knob on is to heat it up as much as possible right before putting it on, because it's a press-on fit to the splined shaft. I put the new knob in water, brought the water up to a boil, then quickly dried off the knob and rushed it out to the truck. Even still, I had to give the knob a few love taps with a rubber mallet to get it all the way on the lever. I then took the insert out of the freezer and got it into place on the knob before the knob had a chance to cool off (or the insert had a chance to warm up). That was 4 years ago now, and the knob and insert are still firmly in place. :)

adrianspeeder

USAF C-17 Avionics
Reaction score
Oh ok. All the knobs slip easily on and off of all our trucks, even the 4x4 levers. Sometimes I switch the two on dads 97 to see how long he takes to notice. Usually bout a week for him. hahah

Adrianspeeder

jvencius

Reaction score
adrianspeeder said:
Oh ok. All the knobs slip easily on and off of all our trucks, even the 4x4 levers. Sometimes I switch the two on dads 97 to see how long he takes to notice. Usually bout a week for him. hahah

Adrianspeeder

Hmmmm--it sounds like you polish your knob quite often... :rotflmao :rotflmao :Sly :Whatever:

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
An update for those interested:

I did some shopping today, and found out a few surprising things. First, the upper gearshift lever is still available from Ford and will only cost $20 more than the rusty lever I got from Santa Clara Truck Wreckers -cuss That's what I get for not asking Ford first, but still...so I'll keep the one I've got until my bank account's sufficiently recovered from the tranny project that I can buy the new one. The one I've got will get the job done, but (I know this is a fools errand ;)) I'm trying to make my truck as nice as possible...

I also got both a shift pattern insert and a gearshift knob. Unfortunately, I bought them in that order...because, as it turns out, Ford has an updated gearshift knob that has the shift pattern permanently molded into it. The good news is, the new knob is exactly what I wanted...and the other good news is that I only spent a total of $6.75 to get the shift pattern insert from a Dodge dealer (the 5 speed shift pattern insert is Chrysler part number 04446921 and cost $3.75 with tax; the other $3 was in bridge toll since I had to go to Hayward). It's not worth the time to try and return the Dodge pattern insert, so I might put it up for sale on this site, or maybe eBay it...I don't know how in-demand this sort of thing is...

I'm posting the rest of this for anyone who may be interested in trying something similar in the future; with the new molded Ford knob, this is now a moot point for me. It does look like the Dodge shift pattern insert will fit into a Ford knob, but it looks like it would stick out considerably further than the Ford shift pattern insert would. I took some pictures comparing the shift pattern inserts, as well as comparing the old and new knobs; they're attached below. Hope this may be able to help someone who's as vain about his truck as I am, someday... :)

Attachments

• Gearshift Knobs 01.jpg
    Gearshift Knobs 01.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 5
  • Gearshift Knobs 02.jpg
    Gearshift Knobs 02.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 5
  • Pattern Inserts 01.jpg
    Pattern Inserts 01.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Pattern Inserts 02.jpg
    Pattern Inserts 02.jpg