5 speed gearshift lever questions...

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello! Couple of oddball questions for the evening. ;) I'm currently gathering parts for a 4 to 5 speed swap, and just got (among other things) a gearshift lever and knob.

One thing I noticed with the gearshift knob is the "insert" that displays the gear pattern. Instead of the number 5 for 5th gear, the letter D is surrounded by a white circle (which I imagine is supposed to represent the letter O, as in O/D). I know that this is the OEM setup, but does anyone know if there's an OEM Ford knob insert that'll fit into this type of knob with the number 5 instead of OD to denote 5th gear? I already plan to change the knob out, and I know that the knob's a press-fit...but, while I want to keep it as OEM as possible, I'd rather have the number 5 looking up at me. I know it's a minor nit-picky thing :) but I'm **** like that...

Also, since we're on the subject :) Why is the 5 speed gearshift lever a 2 piece (or, it seems, 3 piece) unit? Best I can tell, the "upper lever" is actually 2 pieces...the lower part is what bolts to the lower lever that's actually a part of the tranny, and has a big rubber bushing at the top. The upper part is press-fitted around the rubber bushing. Is it to try and minimize vibration in the stick, or am I looking at it wrong?

Thanks!

scrappy

Reaction score
look at a Ranger 5 spd for the knob or the knob from a DODGE 5spd as I think it will also fit your knob. you are right about the shifter, it is to suppress vibration in the lever.

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
My gear shift hasn't had one of those buttons ever since I have owned the truck which is about 3 years now. My hand has worn the sharp edges around the circle smooth LOL

You must be really fussy if a shift knob that isn't right bothers you :confused:

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
scrappy said:
look at a Ranger 5 spd for the knob or the knob from a DODGE 5spd as I think it will also fit your knob. you are right about the shifter, it is to suppress vibration in the lever.
Thanks! I did an eBay search for Ranger 5 speeds, and the few that had pictures of the gearshift lever showed the same labeling that I've got on mine. Maybe they changed it for the brand-new ones? Interesting about the Dodge insert possibly fitting...I'll have to look into that...

Also, thanks on confirming about the vibration suppressor...I felt a little bit of play in it; I hope that doesn't prove to be a problem later on...

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Warden said:
Also, thanks on confirming about the vibration suppressor...I felt a little bit of play in it; I hope that doesn't prove to be a problem later on...
tim-
yours is prolly lose.
k

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
towcat said:
yours is prolly lose.
Doesn't surprise me in the slightest...this lever came from Santa Clara Truck Wreckers, and looks like it came out of a fleet truck regularly driven by chain-smokers. As it is, I'm going to sand it down to bare metal and re-paint it (there's a rust spot on it, among other things)...which is part of why I'm asking about the gearshift knob insert and whatnot; I need to replace them anyways. :)

Is there any way in Hades that it can be tightened up, or do I get to live with it being loose until "loose" turns into "comes apart"? If so, how?

Thanks!

p.s. Don't remember if I told you, but I got a brand-new lower lever (the one with the fulcrum setup that actually bolts into the tranny with the ball at the bottom) out of sheer luck...there was a g@$$er 2WD ZF5 sitting in Seth's auto shop and we did a tiny bit of cannibalizing :D too bad that tranny didn't also have the upper lever assembly...

Last edited:

jvencius

Reaction score
The Warden said:
Doesn't surprise me in the slightest...this lever came from Santa Clara Truck Wreckers, and looks like it came out of a fleet truck regularly driven by chain-smokers. As it is, I'm going to sand it down to bare metal and re-paint it (there's a rust spot on it, among other things)...which is part of why I'm asking about the gearshift knob insert and whatnot; I need to replace them anyways. :)

Is there any way in Hades that it can be tightened up, or do I get to live with it being loose until "loose" turns into "comes apart"? If so, how?

Thanks!

You could always get something completely custom like these:

http://www.koolknobs.com/

:thumbsup:

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
jvencius said:
You could always get something completely custom like these:

http://www.koolknobs.com/

:thumbsup:
I actually thought about something like that, but for some reason, I'm weird and prefer stuff to look as OEM as possible... ;) This is to the extent that I seriously thought about trying to adapt the T-19 gearshift lever that's in my truck right now to work with the ZF5, simply 'cause I like the T-19 lever better...

Last edited:

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DBogo said:
how bout an eaton-fuller shift knob
Hmm...as much as I like the idea of keeping it as original-looking as possible, that's got some gears grinding (no pun intended)...

Are they available online anywhere? Also, can the shift pattern piece be replaced?

scrappy

Reaction score
I don't think the insert can be purchased individually, I think you have to buy the whole knob.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Warden said:

Thanks!

p.s. Don't remember if I told you, but I got a brand-new lower lever (the one with the fulcrum setup that actually bolts into the tranny with the ball at the bottom) out of sheer luck...there was a g@$$er 2WD ZF5 sitting in Seth's auto shop and we did a tiny bit of cannibalizing :D too bad that tranny didn't also have the upper lever assembly...
Warden-
when you get it all put together, just tap on the knob with a rubber hammer and the whole thing will tighten up again. I used to take advantage of being able to pull off the upper part and use it as a billy club on the occasional "rider" on my mirror assy. Also, it discourages would be truck thieves when removed.
Out of curiousity, how bad did billy hurt you?
Oh...one more thing, don't try to sand the stuff off.... its powdercoating and the remaining stuff on the stick is tougher than paint.

adrianspeeder

USAF C-17 Avionics
Reaction score
All the knobs from the ZF5 in the big trucks, and the M5OD in the F150, bronco, and ranger should have the OD instead of 5. Sorry.

I always wanted a skull knob for my bronco...

Adrianspeeder

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
scrappy said:
I don't think the insert can be purchased individually, I think you have to buy the whole knob.
I assume you're referring to the Eaton knob...I meant, is the insert removable at all? If so, maybe I could get something custom-made (it would be expensive if it's even possible, but I thought it'd be cool to get a custom insert with the shift pattern and the Ford, IH, and ZF logos engraved). Or, alternately, was there an Eaton tranny built with a similar gear pattern? I'm guessing not (did they ever even make anything with fewer than 7 forward gears?), but had to ask...

towcat said:
when you get it all put together, just tap on the knob with a rubber hammer and the whole thing will tighten up again. I used to take advantage of being able to pull off the upper part and use it as a billy club on the occasional "rider" on my mirror assy. Also, it discourages would be truck thieves when removed.
Out of curiousity, how bad did billy hurt you?
Oh...one more thing, don't try to sand the stuff off.... its powdercoating and the remaining stuff on the stick is tougher than paint.
Thanks! Didn't realize it would be that easy to tighten up. :) I thought you had a...uhh, more powerful answer to mirror "riders".

Billy did a fair amount of damage, but I figured I didn't have all that much of a choice, considering that '87 and later trucks almost never show up at the pick n' pull and I need everything by a week from next Friday. I paid $110 plus tax for the gearshift lever ($45) and the trans crossmember ($65). The ZF5 crossmember's definitely different enough from the T-19 member that, while the T-19 member might be able to be adapted, it wasn't a chance I was too keen on taking...considering that the truck needs to be driveable on Friday morning and driveable again on Friday evening.

Thanks for the warning with the powdercoating. I'm hoping a wire wheel will be sufficient to get the rust off, and I figure I'll just smooth out the rest. I was actually thinking about trying to see how much it would be to re-powdercoat it, although it's probably out of my price range. :(

adrianspeeder said:
All the knobs from the ZF5 in the big trucks, and the M5OD in the F150, bronco, and ranger should have the OD instead of 5. Sorry.
Thank you for confirming that :) But, is there a different insert (for instance, it was mentioned that a Dodge gearshift insert may fit) that'll go into the stock knob?

Thank you all again :) I know I sound overly ****, but I figure it'll be worth it when I'm done...and i have to admit, the Eaton knob's starting to grow on me...

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Warden said:
Thanks! Didn't realize it would be that easy to tighten up. :) I thought you had a...uhh, more powerful answer to mirror "riders".

tim-
think "ascending levels of force" :D :D :D :backoff :draw get the idea? :D
I can't go directly for the sidearm without reason. Also, I have to prove in a court of law that I had and have excircised "appropriate" countermeasures before using the idiot as target practice. ;Sweet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online