5" Exhaust Anyone?

bookite03

Nice Crummy
Reaction score
5" Exhaust Anyone? *Updated*

Has anyone done 5" exhaust out the back with success? I was looking at using the Diamond Eye PSD 2-piece tailpipe section, 10ft stick of 5" pipe, misc clamps, adapter for the down pipe and build my own hangers. My only real concern is clearance around the axle/fuel tank.
I know 5" isn't necessary... But I have a long-term plan with the truck that may benefit from it down the road. Also surprisingly enough a stick of 5" is cheaper than 4" from my local parts house.

Last edited:

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
I do not see doing 5 inch all of the way, I have 4 inch from the rear of the trans back and if I really load the truck it hits over bumps where it goes over rear axle, If I would remove the factory sheild it prob wouldnt but 5 inch is going to be extremely tight, and what long term plans do you have for the truck that would make 5 inch beneficial? I dont know of any diesel engines that came in a pickup that would benefit noticeably from 5 over 4 inch

X-NRCan_IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
redneck is yours 4x4 or 2wd? I don't see it in your sig...
Under my 4x4 there LOOKS to be lots of room under there for 5" but I've never loaded it really heavy, and I also do not have a spare or anything there. IIRC there is an IDI on youtube with 5" exhaust.

bookite03

Nice Crummy
Reaction score
The tightest spot I can see is where it bends around the rear fuel tank. Everywhere else looks plenty big. I guess its more of a personal preference, I'm not a fan off the "glass pack pop" around 2k rpm...4" gets rid of most of it, but from what I've heard 5" seems a bit better. The cost seems the same or cheaper, I'm assuming because my local truck shop sells more 5" for big trucks.
I have a 94' 5.9 that I hopefully will be able to swap in the next year, my thinking was that 5" would work nicely on it.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't think of any reason you'd need 5", even with a super turbo, but whatever... I ran 4" on mine and didn't have any issues. The over axle part is a bit of work and I think it turns out where I can't remove the pipe without jacking the frame.

From my quick internet research, 5" pipe should flow 2270cfm. 4" is 1440 cfm. I tried to do the calculations to see what boost pressure would give you 2270 cfm exhaust flow but ran out of motivation.....

HiHorse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have done a 3" down pipe into 4", then dual 3" pipes out each side. I really enjoy the sound and the look!

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can't think of any reason you'd need 5", even with a super turbo, but whatever...
IMHO here's a good answer to that question ;Sweet
I'm not a fan off the "glass pack pop" around 2k rpm...4" gets rid of most of it, but from what I've heard 5" seems a bit better.
Never been a big fan of that popping...it can sound cool when decelerating (kind of a Jake Brake sound :D ), but never cared for it on acceleration, so IMHO that's a reason in and of itself, even if it isn't strictly necessary from a power standpoint.

I figure that an OBS PSD would have the same clearance issues around the rear axle and rear fuel tank that an IDI would have, and Diamond Eye sells a 5" system for OBS PSD's...so, I have yet to see a reason why that couldn't work with an IDI. I'm planning to go this route when $$ allows...

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
U don't need 5 inch.....u will need to he near 1000 wheel to see a benefit. Besides your dp is only gonna be what 3 or a max of 4?

To answer ur question though. Yes 5 in will fit under the truck

bookite03

Nice Crummy
Reaction score
You guys are right, I don't NEED 5"...I just wanted to see if it could be fit more or less. Its likely I'll end up doing 4", either way I should be able to achieve my goal of getting rid of the "glass pack pop" or at least most of it. Thanks for the input guys.

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hell I thought most guys running 5" were just doing it for sound & looks anyway...they sell 5" exhaust for Cummins and Powerstroke trucks and I doubt they need it either.

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
i have 5 inch from the turbo to the rollpan on my fummins the clearance around the axle and rear tank is indeed tight but for me the 5 inch downpipe is tighter i made everything from scratch the over axle part is two old semi stack turn up kits just like 4 ft of 5 inch with 3 diffrent bends in it i used something like 1 90 degree bend and 2 45s with the rear twisting out to exit behind the duals with a cut down 6 inch miter stack

fordsrawesome

Reaction score
Bookite lol you opened a can of worms with saying the word 5 inch around a bunch of idi guys lmao im running 4 and had a 5 inch tip and it sounded great but my y pipe is leaking so hard to hear it in the cab man I gotta get that fixed danger hah

bookite03

Nice Crummy
Reaction score
Bookite lol you opened a can of worms with saying the word 5 inch around a bunch of idi guys lmao
I'm kinda getting that idea...oh well :) I like to do things a little different sometimes and the idea came to me when I realized I could do either 4" or 5" for pretty much the same cost.
You know, I've got a 4ft chrome 5" stack out in the shop just sitting there...Hmm ;)

X-NRCan_IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO, nothing wrong with being different at all! I think the main point is that nobody wants you to be disappointed if you go through the trouble and expense putting in 5" when there is no performance gain. But if you like the sound better, go for it! ;Sweet

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But hes saying its a tually cheaper for him to go 5" anyhow!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance