5.7 diesel questions

Petro

Reaction score
All right Guys, i have a few questions about the Olds 5.7 Diesel and idk where else to ask these questions, so i figured the 6.2 page was close enough. I have an 82 Olds Delta 88 wit the 5.7 and im pretty sure ive finsihed that motor off, it got hot the other day and im thinkin its done so my question is would a 6.2 bolt up in place of a 5.7 in the car? And antoehr question i have is are there any like performance parts for a 5.7 diesel?, I wouldnt imagine that it would be able to hold any power at all without goin bang and i dont want to build one myself, im just curious to see if anyone has ever heard of anyone trying to?
Thanks
Dillon

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
6.2 or a 6.5 bolt up. From what i understand is the the older diesel and the sbc all use the same bolt pattern
wrong.
wrong.
wrong.

olds diesel used the Buick/Olds/Pontiac transmission bellhousing bolt pattern.
Chev has their own. there are a few dual pattern cases out there still but they are getting pretty rare.
6.2/6.5turbo conversions have been done and is for the most part, a bolt-in deal. the frame is already drilled to handle them all.
putting in a turbo will be a small challenge tho. even with the banks manifold, it's a tight fit. but it has been done many times already. if you want durability with sacrificing a little fuel economy, use a THM400. If you want overdrive, use a 4L80E with a stand-alone electronics package like a Bauminator computer. But that's big $$$$.
Just for the curious, even in a light 3/4t pickup, a 6.5 factory turbo motor with a TE06H stolen from a 6.9/7.3 will accelerate and run like a bat out of hell:D;Sweet

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What Towcat said.

Those 5.7 motors worked great until you over heated them, or you just had a bad head gasket installation. There are websites to these motors which indicate how to improve longevity and give ya power. But going the 6.3 route is a much hassle free setup. And yes, you will need a new tranny.