5.4 triton skipping

S-west

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so I have a 2001 f350 5.4 that recently developed a skipping problem. The truck starts fine and idles fine. But it will randomly start skipping bad and stall unless you floor it while it's skipping. Flooring it will clear it up. I thought it could be the iac valve so I replaced that but it still skips. I also noticed their was oil in the throttle body and replaced the PVC valve. That didn't help either. At this same time I put a new air filter in it. And last year I did plugs and coils. It also does not throw any codes when this happens. Any ideas?

S-west

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Basically it sounds like half the cylinders are misfiring

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what type of plugs did you install in it? motorcraft is the only plugs to install in it, and no autolites are not the same thing. also when was the last time you replaced the fuel filter? fuel filter should be changed about every 20,000 miles. have you had a computer hooked up to it, even though it hasnt put a ck engine light on you can still ck the engine. i know on my snap-on solus pro, i can go under data and watch cylinder misfires while they happen, might have to go that route to see.

S-west

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are motocraft. And I would think a fuel problem would be steady not at random for short periods like it is

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i partly stopped up fuel filter would make it random. and give you the problem that you are describing.

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They also have a lot of known misfire issues. I would google your engine and start from there. We have had some of the "flooding" issues of rusty water getting into the spark plug area shorting out the coils, and also one of the "ejecting" of the plug. Ford bought two of my dad's trucks back from him. Quickie check would be for the coil in whichever cylinder is misfiring

Maverick1701

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They also have a lot of known misfire issues. I would google your engine and start from there. We have had some of the "flooding" issues of rusty water getting into the spark plug area shorting out the coils, and also one of the "ejecting" of the plug. Ford bought two of my dad's trucks back from him. Quickie check would be for the coil in whichever cylinder is misfiring

x2 on the idea of maybe water/fluid getting down in the plug area and shorting out the COPs....pretty common.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Staff online