4x4 swap question

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
grinder, air hammer with chisel bit and pointed bit, a good drill and set of good drill bits. basic hand tools.

knocking out the rivets is the hardest part.

i swap the front suspension and axle in first, then add in the rear blocks. that way if you run out of time the trans is still in and can be driven. i do everything on a concrete floor with no lift, one floor jack and 2 jack stands. time wise, by yourself it would be probably 20-24 hrs of work. if you get help it does go much quicker.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
As far as moving stuff around like the transmission, I will have a floor Jack. Will that suffice or will I need something different.

If only they made something.... maybe a special jack with a built in strap that you could bind the transmission down onto a very large plate....... maybe you could come up with one and call it something like a TRANSMISSION JACK.......... ;Poke

Have you ever swapped a trans/t-case combo? ;Really
Not being an ass, that's a legitimate question.
You are talking about 300+lbs balancing on that little plate (and if you don't separate them, it's awkward as all get out).
When I do the clutch on a truck alone, I have a trans jack, large hydraulic jack with 4 swivel casters, 2 regular hydraulic jacks, 2 bottle jacks, and 4 heavy 1" ratchet straps. It's a little overkill, but I don't feel like dropping a transmission on my head/arm/chest.....
Level concrete is your friend.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
they make adapter plates to convert a floor jack to a trans jack. work decent but not as good as trans jack.

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know they make a trans Jack. I don't have one obviously. I can try to rent one I was just looking at my options.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
on ZF5's with the transfer case off
I run 2 cargo straps from frame rail to frame rail after I jack it up.
6" bolts with the heads cut off inserted into the adapter plate as guide pins.
its a PITA by myself, but do-able.
a lot easier with another person.

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok. The donor truck doesn't work when parked so maybe I don't have the cable driven Speedo on that one. Not sure yet