4x4 swap question

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't posted in quite some time. I have 2 85 cc drw 6.9s. both were automatic 2wd. One was swapped to a 4x4 5 speed before I got it. That one is Rusty and my new one is rust free. I have both sitting side by side in my driveway. I want to swap the good truck to 4x4. It should basically be pull and replace right? I know I have to cut out a section on the front of the frame and bolt holes will probably have to be drilled. But if I measure everything and take my time it shouldn't be bad right? Anything to watch for. I'm not a great mechanic but I can figure things out with time. Thanks in advance for any help.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
im with riotwarrior, but on another level.
take the rusty truck, remove the cab, clean and rebuild chassis.
then take the nice truck and swap the body over.

or better yet.... build a 6 door long bed DRW 4x

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it that much harder to swap 4x4. I'd swap cabs but the black truck doesn't run. Frost plugs blew out after a head gasket blow out.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no but some fabrication skills are needed. the other chassis is done, and functional. myself, id call it an omen to build the entire thing.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All day at the least

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless your projects are like mine. Then a two beer project turns into a two case project. At least a day turns into a week or three!

If you do the swap make sure you document the process! I've considered doing it to my dually. Stickies or not, can't have too many pictures of a good thing!

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the bolt holes are there or if there will be doing on the frame. What should I start with first. I have a 5 speed to swap in and t case as well to put in. Axle first or pedal assembly or x mission first? What would make it easiest? Should I pull everything out of the rust free truck first?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online

No members online now.