4x4 shfter adjustments?!?!

ricerocket86

Reaction score
I bought the truck with the tranny out so Im not even sure if the 4x4 works. But I put it all together, and when I try to put it into 4H or 4L the furthest it will go is nuetral. When I try to put it back in 2L, it grinds and wont go. I have to shut off the truck, put it in 2L, then start the truck back up and go. Is my shifter out of adjustment or do I have another problem?

ricerocket86

Reaction score
Well, I managed to fix the shifter and I can get it to go into all the gears right now. But now, when I put it in 4L, its not engaging the front axles. Its in low gear, but it just spins the back tires when im stuck and nothing from the front. Any ideas now?

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
As Whit said it's vacuum controlled - start looking for vacuum leaks - I have found them in the past down by the axle because the steel line under there takes a beating from the road debris.

ricerocket86

Reaction score
What about the vacuum line on the transfer case. I know there is a plug with four different colored lines, but then there is another line thats comes off the transfer case. Is that just a breather line or does it need to be connected somewhere?

wayfarnorth

Reaction score
There will be 2 lines under the Tcase at the front that connect up to the CAD vacuum motor lines that run along the frame on the right hand side. Also make sure that the 4 way switch on top of the T case is on properly and not leaking. There is a breather line coming off the top RH or LH side. I just rebuilt my T case because it wouldn't engage properly and found that the wear pads had been eaten and then the shift fork was done in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online