4wd/ transfer case questions

The FNG

NOT a Powerstroke!
Reaction score
I hardly ever use 4wd, the exception being when it snows or gets muddy. Believe it or not, despite our cold winter, we just got our first snow not too long ago.

Anyway, my 4wd seems to work fine in general. I can shift in and out fine and it engages and disengages fine. But at speeds above 30-35mph, it makes a grinding noise on accel and decel for a second or so. I'm really not sure what it is or why it's doing it. I really wish a had a better description or more info. Any help?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if self proclaimed LACK of use has created a lack of familiarity with the sounds emanating from it?

Are you sure this is the transfer case making the noises? could be a bushing that's not lubed correctly.

Have you checked fluid level?

Oil pump bad?

theguruat12

Certified Tinkerer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
X2 on checking fluid level.

I don't think mine makes noises, I have the BW1345. Of course, I RARELY get it over 35, so I don't have much experience, but when I lent my truck to my dad for a camping trip, he said he used it and was hauling ass all over the White Mountains, and didn't mention any kind of noise.

The FNG

NOT a Powerstroke!
Reaction score
I've owned the truck for 5 years now and I have used the 4wd every winter. It never made noise until this winter. I've had the level checked every year until this year and I was always told it looked good, I don't have any leaks. That's the reason I ask. I'll have to check it and report back. Is it lubed with the same oil as the transmission or is there another place to check?

Also, I assumed it was the transfer case because it only makes the noise when 4wd is engaged.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tcase has it's own lube, ATF IIRC but don't quote me on that, could be lack of use has caused a lack of lube, and subsequently a dry bushing for the yokes or something...just guessing here.

Could it be a grinding in the front diff? It is only used when in 4wd too right? LOL I'd be checking all aspects of driveline when in 4wd.

BTW add your transmission and the fact you are 4x to sig info so we have a better picture of truck please?

theguruat12

Certified Tinkerer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First thing I'd check, since you're good on t-case fluid (Al, the 1345 does indeed take Dexron ATF, and I believe the 1356 too. Not sure about the others), is the front diff fluid level. I know that when I changed both of my diff fluids a month ago, BOTH of them we wayyyyy low, like more than a quart. Next, inspect/lube the front u-joints. I'm inclined to think it's a u-joint.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree, my truck does the same thing. My u-joints are ok(check yours) but the front slip yoke has a little bit of play in it on my truck. When I have pressure on the throttle it's quiet, and when the engine is slowing the truck down it's quiet, but when it passes through that "inbetween" state when there is no load on the shaft, it makes a rattling noise. If I unlock the hubs and take it out of 4wd, I can get under the truck and grab the front shaft, and when I move it up and down there is a slight amount of play in the slip yoke where the rubber boot is located.

I haven't fixed mine yet, but some of these joints I have taken apart have a blue plastic coating on the splines. When the coating is gone, there is too much slop in the slip joint.

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
Well I assume you never checked the fluid level since you thought the trans and xfer case was the same fluid. It is not. Look at the Xfer case . There will be 2 plugs. They are either square ( use a 3/8 or 1/2 in ratchet) or a hex (about a 7/8 wrench). There will be one low,this is drain plug. There will be another halfway up on the case this is the fill/level plug. Oil should be within a 1/2 in of bottom or hole. Find out what xfer case you have and you tube will have a video to show you if you are still unclear

I've owned the truck for 5 years now and I have used the 4wd every winter. It never made noise until this winter. I've had the level checked every year until this year and I was always told it looked good, I don't have any leaks. That's the reason I ask. I'll have to check it and report back. Is it lubed with the same oil as the transmission or is there another place to check?

Also, I assumed it was the transfer case because it only makes the noise when 4wd is engaged.