4r100 questions

dsltech83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone build their own 4r100 for a 500hp or so 7.3? Put swamps 200cc hybrids and an H2E kit on my brothers early 99 truck. Talked to a local trans shop that does performance stuff they sold me a Transgo Tugger kit and a billet cover upgraded convertor. Went ahead and put new clutches while the trans was out, BW clutches in L/R, ZPAK intermediate, Alto reds in fwd and direct, BW clutches in OD. Installed trans, doesn't act any different than the one that I removed. Never experienced it but I think the engine is blowing through the torque convertor, has a disconnected feeling until the convertor locks up.

Any Ideas??

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
How are the temps. Good chance the converter is not happy. Wrong spec for the unit. The tranny could be slipping through the gears.

Anything over 400hp you want to do some supporting mods. Billet input shaft. Hardened drums. The center support should be stabilized. There is a heavy duty center support bearing to replace the ball bearing.

Few other things to play with, like stack clearences. Specially with Alto. Always use their specs, not Ford. The clutch packs will not last with the Ford spec. :eek:

There are some pump mods. Most will be covered with the TransGo kit. Most important. Toss the PMW lock up valve. Use the E4OD valve. Besure to change out the drain back valve.

Another little trick. Replace the accumulator valve with a Sonnax .427 valve. This will help in the line pressure dept.

dsltech83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah Its supposed to be 450 at the wheels, trans guy said it would be fine with a tugger kit and that convertor, stock stall speed with billet cover-
Havent drove it enough to get it too hot, seen 160-175, not towed anything with it yet, looking to get this lined out before towing. Installed transgo tcc on-off valve, transgo steel clutch control valves, steel 2-3 shift valve, was wondering about the .427 line mod valve, still has the .372 stocker. I did use the alto stack clearances for the reds. Called Brians Truck Shop today, waiting on a call back from them for some advice.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Yeah Its supposed to be 450 at the wheels, trans guy said it would be fine with a tugger kit and that convertor, stock stall speed with billet cover-
Havent drove it enough to get it too hot, seen 160-175, not towed anything with it yet, looking to get this lined out before towing. Installed transgo tcc on-off valve, transgo steel clutch control valves, steel 2-3 shift valve, was wondering about the .427 line mod valve, still has the .372 stocker. I did use the alto stack clearances for the reds. Called Brians Truck Shop today, waiting on a call back from them for some advice.

BTS will set you up. Great tranny it take any abuse you can throw at it.:thumbsup: Even if you don't use his tranny, he will take the time to help you.

Temps are good. I would have gone lower with the stall speed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RustyNail351

Members online