4BT 71 F250

KRob

Reaction score

Ataylor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Krob,

I'm thinking of doing a 4bt swap into a 1987 F250 with a diesel ZF-5 speed. I already have the adapter plate, flywheel, and clutch. Where did you find your engine and what did it come out of? I see it is a rotary pump, what is the horsepower rating? I have been looking at some on Ebay, but I'm leery of getting a bad engine. Especially when you see the seller running it without coolant. I like your truck. You mentioned the bumpers were out for paint. What kind of bumpers are they?

Oh, and thank you for posting the videos. That is some beautiful country. Some of it reminds me of when I have been to Plush, Oregon (minus the tall mountains) with my Dad.

Thanks,
Archie

Last edited:

KRob

Reaction score
Archie,

The link at the top takes you to a more complete build thread. Which would probably answer most of your questions.

Engine, came out of a Freto Ley Van, i bought it in Portland and drove it to Eastern Oregon....that was a long day. I think i gave $3000 for the van.

4BT with a rotary pump are at like 100hp and 2-250ft/lbs

Engines can be run for a short period of time without coolant without doing damage.

The bumpers are heavy home brew concoctions, the rear one came on it and the front one i picked up at a scrap yard. Still haven't gotten the front one on yet.

Yeah I love the county i live in except the I-5 Corridor is starting to try to dictate how we live...so my love for Oregon is waning.

Ataylor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply and the info. I've got my eyes peeled for a 4bt and have been doing some research. It seems it is better to find an engine out of something that was on the road rather than stationary like a generator because of the differences in the governors. I read that road applications govern only engine speed, but some stationary applications govern to engine load which seems like it would make hard to drive.

Thanks again,
Archie

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It really depends on the pump used. Stationary generators often used a pump a lot like what is used in the idi engines.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle