460 to 6.9 swap - update.

Leeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is no adapter for a idi to 460 trans. Guys re-drill the 460 bell.
On off switch for what?
Might want to research the van engine differences, I thought the exhaust manifold on the left side was different as well a the oil cooler but don't know if you can swing the engine into a truck as is.
A heads up, the gasser engine mount a to buckets on the rear of the crossmember. The left side on mine was bolted and riveted in so I had to cut it just to access the rivet head to grind them out.

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
An adjustable fuel pressure regulator should be able to dial down the stock ford gas pumps in the tank just fine. I dont think the lines would need to be changed out, just the filler necks of course. The electric fuel pump to have with the idi's are the holley carb pumps, so I use that theory to say what I am saying about the stock ford gas pump being A ok, with some decrease in fuel pressure of course. As cheap as the 6.9/7.3 idi trucks are to find, why not sell the 460 truck for a few bucks and buy a different truck?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only trans that can be drilled is the zf 5 speed.

steeldriver

Reaction score
the engine came out of a truck and put into a 1 ton van. they took the turbo off to make it work. i plan on putting the turbo back on. i plan on reinforcing the front so cutting out the brackets wouldn't be a problem. the engine comes with a good trans. i know it isn't built like the trans i got but it would work. i would like to buy another pickup but don't have the finances as i only get so much from the VA for income and the front left fender is damaged from a deer that i hit, so i am working on a new front clip. parts to fix this truck is about $1,000 with engine and everything i need. to buy a truck it is over $8,000. i have more time than money.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
too bad its a 96, ive got bricknose parts.

Leeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A idi truck is not 8gs. Mine from Portland was $2200. There was just a powerstroke 4x4 dually crew for 3. 8gs is newer superduty territory. Your what, 2 hours from there?