460 timing question

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
My 85 has a completely stock 460 with the timing currently set at 16° BTDC. The underhood sticker says it should be 8° BTDC. I tried looking on FTE in the BBF section but all i could find was performance builds with answers all over the place.

My question is this: should i set the timing to 8° or is slightly more advanced (around 10-12°) better?

I'm fighting a hesitation when i moderately accelerate. A friend of mine suggested ignition timing could be the problem. Truck has 54k on it, carb was rebuilt in '97 not a whole lot of miles ago......

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Advancing the timing will help with power and fuel economy. That's usually the first thing I change on a distributor engine. My Flareside called for 10* but I had it set at 16* it all depends on the vehicle really. Just bump it and drive it until you find the sweet spot on your truck.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Play with the timing a bit and see if you can't get the majority, if not all, the hesitation out of it. If not, I'd be looking at the carb.

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
I didnt change the timing cause the dizzy is stuck. I did notice that there is gas leaking past the throttle shaft when the engine is off. I assume this is a bad vacuum leak with the engine running.

Could this be my hesitation?

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
I'm going to see about having the carb rebuilt because of the gas leaking pas the throttle shaft. The accel pump would be replaced at that time anyway.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin