460 starter

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need a 460 starter so I can make sure the engine in the other truck runs before I sell it. Does anyone have one to sell cheap or loan to me for a few weeks?
Do any other starters interchange with it?

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought about the 351/400 and I have one, but it is different. My starter is a mini starter with its own solenoid. It also looks like the gear is smaller on the 460 starter. Its for a 92 by the way.

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
m series starters are just like the small block starters with the solenoids located in a remote spot. the 429-460 engines all use the same starter with a solenoid mounted on the starter. I'd say the local boneyard should have one for cheap. Look it up on partsamerica.com and look for a starter there. Then you ban click 'see all vehicles this product fits' to get your interchange.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The bolt pattern will probably be the same as the 351M / 400 BUT Ford switched to the mini starters with integral solenoid starting in the mid? 80's....

Your best bet is probably a cheap reman from one of the chain auto parts stores. Can't get any cheaper than a chinese rebuild.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I'm gonna replace the solenoid, it was coroded and I had to clean it up real good to get it moving. I found one on Ebay for about 10 bucks.
The problem I have is that the starter spins good, and the Sol. will move good, BUT I cant get them both moving at the same time so I think theres a short in the solenoid from all the water exposure. When I got the truck the starter had been sitting in the bed for a few years.

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you pull the solenoid off move the plunger by hand to see if it moves freely . If not then find the resistance and lube it. Also check the plunger and where it fits in the solenoid for rust n corrosion then clean accordingly. Hopefully that will get it going without taking your cash with it.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Early 385 series engines actually ran a GM/Delco starter.... The 80's motors ran the standard Ford starter, and the 92+ trucks run a permanent magnet gear reduction starter, same as all the later model Ford stuff runs. Even a re-man PMGR is not cheap.

sassyrel

Reaction score
I thought about the 351/400 and I have one, but it is different. My starter is a mini starter with its own solenoid. It also looks like the gear is smaller on the 460 starter. Its for a 92 by the way.
there the same------

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you pull the solenoid off move the plunger by hand to see if it moves freely . If not then find the resistance and lube it. Also check the plunger and where it fits in the solenoid for rust n corrosion then clean accordingly. Hopefully that will get it going without taking your cash with it.

Yeah, thats what I did to get it to move. Works fine by itself, starter spins fine by itself, but when I put power to both at the same time, I get nothing OR the sol kicks out but motor turns really slow. Could the sol be shorted out causing this?

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The solenoid beingfried is probably why the starter was in the back of the truck instead of on engine. A new solenoid is about $45. A starter from a junkyard is probably less. That is, if nobody loans you their spare. But, a spare gas starter could be less likely in a diesel forum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online

No members online now.