42.26MPG!!!!

tgatch

Reaction score
Just filled up the wife's Beetle last ngiht.

524.8 miles
12.417 Gallons of diesel

42.26MPG

That is almost ALL city driving folks!!!! :thumbsup:

tgatch

Reaction score
Wait until I start getting 75miles per gallon of diesel when I convert my Mercedes over to run on WVO.

sagebel

Reaction score
I'm getting about the same with my Jetta. Take that thing on a 8hr drive with the cruise set. The sad thing is that I drove a $&%^&! Prius last week while I was on travel and it only got 49mpg. Not very impressive considering vehicle cost and long term maint.

Scott

joe_diesel

Reaction score
Yup, Had a 2001 TDI. I drove mostly interstate and got high 40s most of the time. Took an in state road trip once and only drove 55 coasted to a stop short shifted with slow take off and got 53 once. I'm sorry I got rid of it now!

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I'm getting about the same with my Jetta. Take that thing on a 8hr drive with the cruise set. The sad thing is that I drove a $&%^&! Prius last week while I was on travel and it only got 49mpg. Not very impressive considering vehicle cost and long term maint.

Scott

Prius aren't that expensive (start at $13,000.00), plus, 49 MPG on gas at close to a dollar a gallon cheaper than diesel is prolly a better deal anyway. You may have been in a hybrid though, which run more, but I have a buddy who has one getting in the 40's non-hybrid. He bought a plain jane version and that is where my info comes from. Gas here is $3.59 a gallon with diesel $4.39, so 42 on gas versus 49 on diesel, less the initial expense of a diesel, is a good deal.

JLDickmon

Bo Duke
Reaction score
Just filled up the wife's Beetle last ngiht.

524.8 miles
12.417 Gallons of diesel

42.26MPG

That is almost ALL city driving folks!!!! :thumbsup:
change the air filter and tell her to put an egg under the throttle..
they're capable of more..

tgatch

Reaction score
If one is driving long freeway runs a Prius is not going to be better than a Diesel Beetle or Jetta.

According to fueleconomy.gov a 2007 Prius will get 48 city and 45 highway. My Wife's beetle will get 35 and 44. Now that is according to the ratings. My wife's beetle has only been down to 35.5 MPG twice and that was on winter fuel. The thing has averaged 39 mpg for a year now. Would a Prius get better mileage? Probably. Is it a a diesel? No and I happen to like diesels. Does the Beetle get better mileage than the 5.4 F150 we traded away? Heck yeah. Did my wife want a beetle and not a Prius? Yes. So my options were 2.0 n/a gas dog, 1.8T or TDI. The TDI gets the best mileage of those three.

Personally I keep vehicles for MANY years. I'd really like to know the long term costs of the electric motor in the Hybrids.

Over 100,000 miles here is what it will cost to operate the beetle per mile as it stands right now.

Fuel cost $0.081 per mile
Timing Belt $0.011 per mile (Needs changed every 100,000 miles just had it done)
Tires $0.01 per mile (50,000 miles at $500 per set)
Oil changes are lifetime on this car from the dealer.

So I'm looking at $0.102 per mile to operate. I'd REALLY love to see what a Prius will cost per mile over the 100,000 miles

One last thing. If I spent just a little money the Beetle COULD run on Veg oil or home brew bio diesel. After the initial investment was paid off with the savings I could drive the operating costs down even further.

tgatch

Reaction score
change the air filter and tell her to put an egg under the throttle..
they're capable of more..

Filter was fine...

Just had the Beetle in for a new timing belt and had them check the intake and EGR. Can you say CLOGGED. The car is MUCH improved at partial throttle applications. We will have to see what the MPG's are now.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Well, not sure I buy the longevity costs as I'm sure a set of injectors would set you back a fair amount of change as well. I wasn't saying you made a bad choice either, I was under the impression from other posts that the Volks diesel would get in the 50's MPG wise.

Last edited:

tgatch

Reaction score
Injector nozzles will have to be replace between 150 to 200K miles... $230 for parts. And that is actually something I can do on the car.

And yes they will get into the 50's the MPG I posted was mostly city driving.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Injector nozzles will have to be replace between 150 to 200K miles... $230 for parts. And that is actually something I can do on the car.

And yes they will get into the 50's the MPG I posted was mostly city driving.

Cool! Sounds like what I need for daily transport! :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online

No members online now.