4 speed Brownie

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
So here it is. I placed a quarter on one of the gears to show their size. :eek:
Robert, what am I going to need for U-joints for this?

as you can see, I'm not just pullin' y'alls chains when I say these things were built for semi trucks. You should see the BIG twin countershaft jobs for heavy hauling :eek:
That one there looks a lot like it was setup for a direct mount and not for shaft hookup. You are going to need to remove those big nuts on teh ends and measure the output and input shafts for diameter and spline count,( actually the manual has those dimensions ) that manual I sent you should give you a number of possible yoke options, but there are dozens of others. a 1410 I think is about the smallest joint you will be able to use on the box end when getting shafts built. On mine on the tail end it was a 1550 on the output for teh smallest one ( I'll NEVER break that thing )

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Robert, I know my box is different, it's a 5831D out of a Ford F800 or so the junkyard guy said. Anyway I had a 10 spline 1.25" diameter input and output shaft and the Spicer dealer said there was only one bolt on yoke available, 106 dollars each but it seemed fair, so now that I can actually buy some stuff without going into debt I will be getting those and gearing up for the install. It all looks like it will walk together except I know those shift linkages are going to be hard and getting the driveline angles right is going to be a challenge. I will have experienced help to hand. Do you have a part # for the rubber mounts? Mine is missing these, but came with practically everything else, cross member, shifter, mounting bolts and linkages. BTW that shifter looks too huge to even fit in my cab, but you made it work so I guess I will too. You say you need that much leverage to get it into gear thanks to the stiff detente springs right so a shorter shifter wouldn't be advisable?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Hey Robert, I know my box is different, it's a 5831D out of a Ford F800 or so the junkyard guy said. Anyway I had a 10 spline 1.25" diameter input and output shaft and the Spicer dealer said there was only one bolt on yoke available, 106 dollars each but it seemed fair, so now that I can actually buy some stuff without going into debt I will be getting those and gearing up for the install. It all looks like it will walk together except I know those shift linkages are going to be hard and getting the driveline angles right is going to be a challenge. I will have experienced help to hand. Do you have a part # for the rubber mounts? Mine is missing these, but came with practically everything else, cross member, shifter, mounting bolts and linkages. BTW that shifter looks too huge to even fit in my cab, but you made it work so I guess I will too. You say you need that much leverage to get it into gear thanks to the stiff detente springs right so a shorter shifter wouldn't be advisable?

$106 ea.. was that with or without lube :eek:
He doesn't know what the heck he's talking about for each size there's a bunch of options and you can go with either a a flange to bolt to the shaft and then a flange yoke to that or you can just use a yoke straight to the shaft
If you go by the box, there are only 2 listed, one for a 1410 joint that's a 3-4-2821 and one for a 1480 joint and thats a 3-4- 3551
but if you dig into the big books and start fishing by measurements which can drive you stark raving mad, there are dozens of possible options for different mounting and coupling combinations and that price is definitely list plus. I had one place wanting to charge me that much. THe guy that ended up making my shafts got them for me for somewhere around $25 ea

For teh rubber mounts, I went to the local Kenworth dealer and fished through everything they had till I found something that would work. Like a lot of Kenworth dealers they have a lot of stock out front where you can pick through it so it made finding a set of rubber mounts fairly easy, unfortunately I don't have a part number, if I'm not horribly mistaken the thing was actually a hood mount that I ended up using

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
Hey all, funny what life throws at you. I may need to sell this trans, since if I accept a recent job offer I won't be taking the Chevy with me. I may hang onto the truck and keep it at my folks house here in Nevada, but I won't be doing any more mods to it. The job is on Maui and, being a small island, I won't be needing all those gears (if I end up bringing it over). So let me know if you're interested, I'll let it go for the $500 I spent on it and I'll throw the shift knob in with it. ;Sweet

I'll know in the next few days what I'll be doing. Wish me luck!

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need to quit procrastinating and get the 6041 laying in my shop floor hanging under my truck.

I have been putting it off, hoping I will some day have a concrete floor and roof over me.

This working out in the weather on gravel sucks in this cold Kentucky rain.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey all, funny what life throws at you. I may need to sell this trans, since if I accept a recent job offer I won't be taking the Chevy with me. I may hang onto the truck and keep it at my folks house here in Nevada, but I won't be doing any more mods to it. The job is on Maui and, being a small island, I won't be needing all those gears (if I end up bringing it over). So let me know if you're interested, I'll let it go for the $500 I spent on it and I'll throw the shift knob in with it. ;Sweet

I'll know in the next few days what I'll be doing. Wish me luck!

Ifn there was a way to make that fit between a 4sp and my Tcase I would in a heartbeat...but I need it to be a married setup!:rotflmao

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online