4.10 vs 3.55

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
Not my big one no, the wheel trac was too wide for his rollers the tires kept catching the sides of the rack. He said he would bring the wide one in OCT to that pull.

Just out of curiosity, If you were able to get another truck on there(it sounds like you have more than one), what numbers did that one make? And if so, what mods does it have?

RKOCH

Fellow Oil Burner
Reaction score
My 89 duelly fit just barely. It was basicaly stock with a 1st gen Banks turbo pump turned up alittle. I was changing gears that day so I took to the truck pull and tested it on sat and back on sun with new gears. There was a difference of about 30 rear wheel horsepower from a 3.55 to 4.88. I will dig out the sheets and post the charts.

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
My '88 6.9 non-turbo F250 had 4.11's with a locker... Pros - I pulled a 79,800# semi down the Bend parkway at 25mph. Cons - 65mph had it at 3,200 rpm on the tach.

My '86 6.9 turbo has 3.55 and I could pull the grade out of Prineville with a 1,600# trailer and a '74 Nova (unsure of weight) on the trailer at 65mph with the tach at about 2,300rpm.

I like having the 3.55 gears, but I don't tow alot (other that vehicles on the trailer) with the '86 because we sold our camp trailer before I bought it. I got 18mpg with the non-turboed 6.9 with 4.11's and I'm getting about 20mpg with the 3.55's in the turboed 6.9 truck. I don't know if the little bit of a difference is worth it in the long run.

countryboy

Reaction score
I have a friend with a 72 chevy and 3.08s (yes 3.08s) and pull a trailer everyday with 4-9000 pounds on it. His general reponse is. SHIFT for gods sake. push in the clutch and grab another gear and hammer her down.

I am that friend! I also have a 69 4wd with 4.10s and I hate them and thats with 40 in swampers! I have axles with 3.73s thats goin in with 44s. But my 6.2 is some kinda freak and has way more power than it should. The 72 has the oppisite engine in it. It was weak when it was in its donor 89 suburban and now it get run to death in this truck with 3.08s. We have to shift less often than our 94 7.3 and 5-speed and 3.55s!

so imo it sounds like getting the engine to run right in the first place is more important that having low gears for towing.

;Poke

RKOCH

Fellow Oil Burner
Reaction score
I am that friend! I also have a 69 4wd with 4.10s and I hate them and thats with 40 in swampers! I have axles with 3.73s thats goin in with 44s. But my 6.2 is some kinda freak and has way more power than it should. The 72 has the oppisite engine in it. It was weak when it was in its donor 89 suburban and now it get run to death in this truck with 3.08s. We have to shift less often than our 94 7.3 and 5-speed and 3.55s!

so imo it sounds like getting the engine to run right in the first place is more important that having low gears for towing.

;Poke

Good lord man 3.73 with 44's you must want no power at all. I had 5.87 gears in my 79 ford, 460ci, C6 trans with 44's way back when and that to me need more gear. I could not imagine that combo.

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
I just swapped in 3.55s into my truck from the 4.10s & I won't go back to the 4.10s unless I am running 35"+ tires or have a trailer hooked to my truck everytime it leaves the driveway.
Trucks seems better all the way around, builds boost better, better low end because it's not spinning RPM to no where. Highway is alot better too, I might go tow something later this week so we'll see but I have faith in it.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just swapped in 3.55s into my truck from the 4.10s & I won't go back to the 4.10s unless I am running 35"+ tires or have a trailer hooked to my truck everytime it leaves the driveway.
Trucks seems better all the way around, builds boost better, better low end because it's not spinning RPM to no where. Highway is alot better too, I might go tow something later this week so we'll see but I have faith in it.

I pulled the Moosestang on a trailer from PA to TN and back with 3.55 gears and 35" tires no problem. ;Sweet

kcw12

CrazedCountryRebel
Reaction score
The truck country boy speaks of, doesn't seem to be shy on power. It acclerates as fast or faster then my truck with 33s and 4.10s.

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
Aaah, so did you do the gear swap yourself? How long it took you?

Took me a few days, working by myself half the time & the other half with a friend in my non heated garage in a Mi winter. cookoo
Swapped the rear axle & the front pumpkin from a 97 F250HD so it was more or less just pulling off the old & putting on the new. Jacked up the rear, lowered the axle on a creeper & rolled it out then rolled the new on in. Had to rob the yoke, berrings & brakes off my old axle & install it on the new one, change the diff lube & covers, install new crush sleeve & yoke & torque good & hard, installed the rest of the 450 springs I didn't install before & ditched the blocks then good to go. ;Sweet
Like my new shop lights & jackstands? LOL

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

I pulled the Moosestang on a trailer from PA to TN and back with 3.55 gears and 35" tires no problem. ;Sweet

That's good to hear Mel, I know some think I'm going too high of a gear but I tell em it's a Diesel not a 5.0L.

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My F250 has 3.55 gears and my F350 dually has 4.10 gears. I think they both are well matched for the purpose. The 350 carries a HEAVY camper and it will slow down pretty well on long grades. The F250 will cruise the freeway at 2000rpm in overdrive. Neither truck gets terrific mileage, but the 250 out-does the 350.

RKOCH

Fellow Oil Burner
Reaction score
I have for the life of me never understood the fuel milage bit around here. I buy trucks because I need a truck, which is not famous for fuel milage. However I want a truck to preform like a truck not a big car with an open trunk. Which means power and moving the load. If you need fuel milage you should concider a daily driver car and quit slaughtering these fine pieces of machinery for the sake of a little fuel milage. This is why I drive a thunderbird I just just can't bring my self to kill my trucks. People right here have said.

"My F250 has 3.55 gears and my F350 dually has 4.10 gears. I think they both are well matched for the purpose. The 350 carries a HEAVY camper and it will slow down pretty well on long grades. The F250 will cruise the freeway at 2000rpm in overdrive. Neither truck gets terrific mileage, but the 250 out-does the 350. "

Perfect example the the F350 is slowing down because of a lack of gear. If this same truck had even as little as a 4.56 gear you would see a considerable difference. Of course the F 250 does better on fuel with a 3.55 but if that same camper was on the truck it would be hurting. Plus in my opinion overdrive is a a overated waste of power. You keep the RPM low for what a few MPG at best increase but at a severe loss of power. These engines preform best at just a tad under 3000 RPM and that is fact. If I can run 60 - 65 MPH all is good no need to go faster in a truck, specialy if hauling a load. Diesels are like outboards on bass boats they either are run at idle ot WOT not in between.

VanBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an old '83 F150 w/ a 4.9L, C6 and 3.55's. Once, I towed a twin axle U-haul car trailer 150 miles empty and it did fine. Came back towing a two door Ford Explorer that had a dead tranny. Pulling a grade was 'hard' since I could only hold 45 on the interstate (hills and pass). I've towed a JD 2640 tractor (5000lbs tractor weight) so I know it had to be about 7 or 8K. I could hit 50 no issues. Get up and go was an issue, but after you got moving, no problems.

A friend had a 88 F150 4x4, 4 speed with 4.9L and 3.08's. Yes, a 3.08 ratio. He hauled a two axle car type that was loaded w/ veggies for a fruit stand, plus his truck was loaded. The trailer pushes 3K empty (custom built multi purpose). I'm guessing his GVWR was 9-10K.

A teacher had a early 80s F150, 4x4, 4.9L 4 speed w/ I assume a 3.55. He had a full size slide in AND towed a boat behind it (one big enough to water ski with). He said it did fine and even wishes he never sold the thing.....

Both my 90 and 99 diesel vans have 3.54 and 3.55. I plan on putting hitches on them and I figure that I could tow fairly well with them.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
here is what I haul and I have power and decent mileage. 11 mpg light foot ,but if I want or need to get there I drop to 4th and hammer down, then I get 10.
GW about 13~15K depending on length of trip.
My engine pulls best at 2200/2300rpm 6 lbs boost 65 in 5th ~58 in 4th. Heat is my problem

Attachments

• dune trip 10-26,7,8-07 024a.JPG
    dune trip 10-26,7,8-07 024a.JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 4