3g alternator with V belt?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess you guys know you will have a hard time getting over 100 amps out of any of those alternators if it has just one v-belt. That's about all it will stand before it starts slipping.

If for some reason your batteries get low, and you finally get it started, the 130 amp unit will squeal the belt like crazy till the batteries build up a little bit.

theguruat12

Certified Tinkerer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess you guys know you will have a hard time getting over 100 amps out of any of those alternators if it has just one v-belt. That's about all it will stand before it starts slipping.

If you for some reason your batteries get low, and you finally get it started, the 130 amp unit will squeal the belt like crazy till the batteries build up a little bit.

x2. Had that happen some time after I put it in. Annoying as hell. Can't wait until I have the time to go get a serp setup from a yard.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep. I am planning on deleting the vacuum pump so I think with a little help from an idler, I can run twin v belts on it if I want/need too.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 105 amp 10SI on my boat, easy install. Seems to work great compared to the original 50 amp unit it replaced. I know they're older tech but is there a big advantage to 3g other than higher capacity up to 160-200 amps? 10SI is much cheaper.

Sure they are cheaper and easy to install. But I happen to like how well this alternator has been performing compared to the Delcos I have been installing on the International tractors, plus I like how it's kinda in the same family. I don't like to run one wire alternators, call it a control freak thing. Plus to be really honest, the alternators I have been putting on have been disappearing into other projects on the folks' farm and this will be easier to keep track of.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
You can change the regulator and brush assembly on a 3g in a few minutes. On a 10SI you would have to split the case to service it. The regulator assembly on the 3G is a much simpler setup in my opinion.

The 10SI is a great alternator but Id rather have a 3G

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im not finding much for the E150 alternators. do the taurus ones fit no problem on our trucks? Where can One get a twin V belt pulley?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online