390 or 460?!

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
I just picked up a VERY CLEAN 77 Ford F250 is all options along with the Camper Special package ;Sweet

The po didn't know much about it but he said he thinks it has the 460 engine. I am wondering if there is a way that I can tell for sure--something to look for? I don't know ANYTHING about 460's but I do know that the engine in the truck looks very much like an FE style motor. Judging by the power output it is either a 390 or 460. Any ideas?

Silver91Hatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
390 or FE motors have 2 spark plugs that face fowarnd and 2 facing rearward on each head, 460 or 385 series motors don't.

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
390 has the valve cover overlaping the intake manifold and the 460 has the valve cover entirely on the head. It is most likely the 390 (smoother running engine and very capable in my book)
Ken

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply's ;Sweet

Turns out it is the 460. While I was looking at the sparkplugs I noticed the big tag on the valve cover that has the emissions info and a BIG 460 labeled right on it :frustrate LOL

I guess these years saw a 200hp rating and single digit fuel mileage! Woo hoo!!!

sassyrel

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply's ;Sweet

Turns out it is the 460. While I was looking at the sparkplugs I noticed the big tag on the valve cover that has the emissions info and a BIG 460 labeled right on it :frustrate LOL

I guess these years saw a 200hp rating and single digit fuel mileage! Woo hoo!!!

yah--but--change the cam,,,chain and gears to pre 72,,,get a 4 bbl intake{if dont have} and put a better than fac carb on it.edelbrock, and others have a combo package--hp will jump--and so will mileage---IF YOU KEEP YOUR FOOT OUTTA IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! also--get a EARLY elec dist--weights will be setup for performance better--or redo your dist--there were SOME 2 1/2 inch dump exhaust manifolds--then aluminized pipes and duals--it will howl--

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
Yep I think it is pretty choked off in stock form :puke:

If I decide to keep it I may have to do a few modifications :sly

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
460s are great motors. My 4x4 van has one and it screams. I put an edlebrock performer 4bl intake, edlebrock carb and sealed power mild cam and it has tons of power. Makes people do a double take when its kickin ass in the mud runs hehe.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk