38 gallon rear tanks....

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Time for me to throw a rear tank in the white rhino,

That being said I'm looking at one of these...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Fuel-Ta...Parts_Accessories&hash=item35c22c00e8&vxp=mtr

Cheap, free shipping and I can get :love:superwifey to pick it up in US...

So is it compatible with our trucks is my question....

Oh ya, I'm also doing my Filler vent mod too, whilst at this....

Got all but 4 parts and the tubing for my filler vent mod.

Two nice bulkhead fittings for my tanks, then barbed fitting for 3/4" ID tubing for breating and a nice setup to take the stock roll over / atmospheric vent and install it into the whole setup...:sly

I'll do a Tech 101 on the filler for all to see...:D

So again, is that tank going to work for me?

Thanks

Al

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lmc truck sells them, and they do put a disclaimer that it will only work for such an such. I forget what they said it won't work with, but check out their site to see what it says. It may be a spare tire issue.

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
That tank is galvanized. That's a no,no. Diesel will eat off the galvanized stuff . Just thought you would like to know.
Time for me to throw a rear tank in the white rhino,

That being said I'm looking at one of these...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Fuel-Ta...Parts_Accessories&hash=item35c22c00e8&vxp=mtr

Cheap, free shipping and I can get :love:superwifey to pick it up in US...

So is it compatible with our trucks is my question....

Oh ya, I'm also doing my Filler vent mod too, whilst at this....

Got all but 4 parts and the tubing for my filler vent mod.

Two nice bulkhead fittings for my tanks, then barbed fitting for 3/4" ID tubing for breating and a nice setup to take the stock roll over / atmospheric vent and install it into the whole setup...:sly

I'll do a Tech 101 on the filler for all to see...:D

So again, is that tank going to work for me?

Thanks

Al

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmmm....nothing further? Seems my diesel tanks are galvanized...on the outside...but not sure bout inside...

Makes me wonder....

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The OEM tanks are not galvanized on the inside, but are galvanized on the outside. From what I understand, diesel fuel reacts with the zinc, causing small bits of zinc to become dispersed in the fuel. These eventually make it into the super small tolerances in the injector pump and injector pintles and you got problems! I dont' know, Al - that sure "looks" like the rear tank in our trucks, only bigger. I have thought about getting a larger rear tank too - but was hoping somebody would be the guinea pig:D looks like you get the necessary extensions for the skidplates/straps too. Obviouslt the "under bed spare" will be become a "in bed spare" when that tank is installed.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
look at jeff's bronco graveyard, they sell a poly tank for a bronco for just a few $'s more.

33 gallons...need whole different mounting setup...ask how I know....I have two Bronco tanks here as I sit right now! Neither is something I'm looking at at this point due to that point...I don't want to mess with mounts!

I think the tanks are all galvanized outside not inside...rofl...that's the funny part....

mobilemech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the poly tanks use a skid plate and stap mount, pretty easy to make. But as you stated, they are 33 gal.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the poly tanks use a skid plate and stap mount, pretty easy to make. But as you stated, they are 33 gal.

And I don't want to use straps n skid...I just wanna quickly bolt this sucker in...I am looking at building a tank though instead...maybe bout 45 gallons! whoop...

Just need a bit more steel than I have rofl!, Quite a bit more actually!

Maverick1701

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that was a mod I wanted to do on my old OBS....install a bronco tank.
I would have had to move the spare but I carry it in the bed anyway....might as well use all that wasted space.

Post pics of the install!

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think this whole galvanized thing is a myth now, I have 100k on a bronco GAS tank and no problems . The fuel we get now has so many noncorrosives in it I doubt it would attack anything.

And all the plumbing I see on above ground tanks is galvanized also.:dunno

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think this tank is worth getting, one I've never seen a fuel tank GALVANIZED inside....I think there are more issues with gasoline to react with galvanization than diesel.

That being said, all I want to do is buy it install in and be done! I'll be doing my fuel neck/filler mod too so it's HI FLOW fuel all the way. I'm going to MOCK up my setup with my old tank this week.

I think everyone will like the filler mod tech 101. I'll have a good list of parts and such.

Just sayin...

Me thinks this tanks gonna get ordered!

Al

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Al, if you don't mind, please document your install with pics and your usual excellent write up. Like I said before, I have been thinking about doing this for a while and your install write up may just be the motivation I need! Best of luck with it - I think it should go fine. Todd

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Al, if you don't mind, please document your install with pics and your usual excellent write up. Like I said before, I have been thinking about doing this for a while and your install write up may just be the motivation I need! Best of luck with it - I think it should go fine. Todd

Wow...

Thank you for such a wonderful compliment. You can be assured I'll be doing the pictutorial as usual.

I may just make it inclusive in my previous tech 101 on a flat deck filler mod. as I'm still doing the rear tank filler to work with the deck.

I can do the filler mod and tank vent mod in one. However for sake of search, I may just do two separate articles.

Again Todd,

Thanks for such a high compliment:Thumbs Up

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
While on the subject of fuel tanks, are any of those fuel tank sealer/coatings for the inside any good?
The stuff I saw was sold at Atwoods. You remove the tank, empty it, then slosh around the different liquids.