351 oil pan R&R

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
I have an 82 4x4 F250 that hasn't seen an oil change since the PO got it in 98 and I'd like to remove the oil pan to clean out any sludge, I'd prefer to avoid engine removal if possible, how manageable is this?

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
You will need to

Remove y-pipe
unbolt motor mounts
unbolt trans mount
remove fan or shroud
jack the engine up(as far as it will go)
unbolt pan
unbolt oil pickup
then slide pan out with oil pickup in it.

With out a lift, I would recommend pulling the engine

Sledgehammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took the front spring shackles loose and pulled mine out the front. That is in a 79' with a D60 front to clear. That eliminated the fan, y-pipe, and trans mount steps from what diesel_brad said. Prob 6 of one half a dozen of the other when I comes down to doing it.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
I took the front spring shackles loose and pulled mine out the front. That is in a 79' with a D60 front to clear. That eliminated the fan, y-pipe, and trans mount steps from what diesel_brad said. Prob 6 of one half a dozen of the other when I comes down to doing it.

But you dont have the HUGE cross member under the pan like the 80-97 does

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the same thing years ago to a bronco, removed the engine, stripped it down to a long block and steam cleaned the engine, globs of sludge pressure washed off, reassembled engine and reinstalled. Luckily it was a job I got paid to do...

using cheap oil/filters cost more in the long run every single time...

Javier

sassyrel

Reaction score
I have an 82 4x4 F250 that hasn't seen an oil change since the PO got it in 98 and I'd like to remove the oil pan to clean out any sludge, I'd prefer to avoid engine removal if possible, how manageable is this?

id put a new good name brand oil filter on,,then buy one of the good engine flushes.....have done this more than once,with good results..did it on a 94 bird,,with a 4.6..the oil pressure was wayyy low,,and it didnt have a lot of miles..put on the new filter,,put in the engine flush,,and jambed the throttle to 1200 rpm,,for 15 minutes..drained what looked like really bad diesel engine oil..changed the filter,,did it again with new oil,,and came out much cleaner..dropped that,changed to all new,,and the pressure came up,,from about 8 at idle,,to just over 20..customer was happy!!!!!...figured the prev owner didnt change oil much,,and the oil pickup screen was near clogged!!! he drove it for long time after,,and the pressure stayed right there...