2009 Rally Dyno Results:

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well the rear axle might not change HP numbers, but it is a torque multiplier. So even if the HP numbers are the same the tq numbers should be higher with 4.10 compared to 3.54.

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Ok here's a couple of vids I took at the dyno, Batts went low on the camera so I only got a few.
Heath 1st run
You must be registered for see images attach

Littledoggies

John

My tow tune

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Oh yeah,

Hey Darrin..... Dennis was bummed he didn't get a chance to see your truck. He is repowering a superduty with a Scheid Diesel built Cummins (See Aric's photos)...... and he wanted to see your conversion. Speaking of that truck, it has the low pressure mounted under the cab and wanted to talk to Barney about keeping it oiled.;Really

Heath

Yea that's what Ron said, He wasn't as bummed as I was not to make a pull. I should have gone over to the shop anyway on Friday just so I could see his setup, That would have been cool. Oh well,...

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well the rear axle might not change HP numbers, but it is a torque multiplier. So even if the HP numbers are the same the tq numbers should be higher with 4.10 compared to 3.54.

Not to argue, but the rear axle gearing will in no way change the HP/Torque produced by the engine. It will effect how easy that power is used to move the truck.

For example. I'm running 3.55's on 37 inch tires. That gives me some pretty tall gearing. But, if you look at the torque numbers, mine are the highest..... not the guys with 4.10's.

Anyway, TS was a hoot!

Heath

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im not trying to argue, just understand. Gearing might not change engine output but why does it not change power at the wheels? Do they compensate for it somehow?

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting stuff. Wish I could have come to the Rally. I don't see many IDIs on the dyno... at least not since the '80s and early '90s. My '86 has a large number of dyno miles over the years. Usually runs in the high 180s. A couple of years ago, it made 192 hp on a Superflow at a local tech college. A year later, it only made 178 on a Mustang at Ashtabula. Go figure. As was stated earlier, Superflow seems to give the most accurate numbers overall. Dynojet seems to be the most optimistic (we call them a "magazine" dyno). Mustang is somewhere inbetween, but calibration and operator competence has a lot to do with it. Older trucks are easier overall because you can hold them into a gear. The electronic trucks, especially the Allison D-Maxes, always shift at the wrong time.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Interesting stuff. Wish I could have come to the Rally. I don't see many IDIs on the dyno... at least not since the '80s and early '90s. My '86 has a large number of dyno miles over the years. Usually runs in the high 180s. A couple of years ago, it made 192 hp on a Superflow at a local tech college. A year later, it only made 178 on a Mustang at Ashtabula. Go figure. As was stated earlier, Superflow seems to give the most accurate numbers overall. Dynojet seems to be the most optimistic (we call them a "magazine" dyno). Mustang is somewhere inbetween, but calibration and operator competence has a lot to do with it. Older trucks are easier overall because you can hold them into a gear. The electronic trucks, especially the Allison D-Maxes, always shift at the wrong time.

wow your truck makes more power than anyone who dynoed and you have a first generation banks non gated turbo, how much boost do you see? and what is done to your ip? and you have a c-6 trans

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Im not trying to argue, just understand. Gearing might not change engine output but why does it not change power at the wheels? Do they compensate for it somehow?

i am no expert but they ran a probe on the front of the engine so they knew exactly how fast the engine was turning vs the wheel speed. this gives them a ration and it should be a simple correction factor from there.

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow your truck makes more power than anyone who dynoed and you have a first generation banks non gated turbo, how much boost do you see? and what is done to your ip? and you have a c-6 trans

I sense a doubter. First, did you read the rest of the post? The point is you can't compare readings from one day, on one dyno to another day on another dyno. You can only fairly compare the same truck on the same dyno with the same operator at pretty close to the same time. I have driven a truck from one dyno to another on the same day and seen a 30 hp difference.

As to my truck... who knows what it would have done there? Maybe higher, maybe lower. I was at a diesel event last year at Ashtabula in the company of 4-600 hp modern monsters. Putting it on the dyno in that crowd was asking to be laughed at. That was when it did 178 hp... and was the second lowest number, just barely above a Cummins 4BT transplant in a Chevy no less.

Anyway, I was just offering up what I've seen my old buddy do in the coupla dozen dynos it's been on since I bought it in '87. No bragging (well, just a little, I am fond of the old thing). The lowest it ever did was on the ATS's dyno in Salt Lake City (when it was still owned by the Benson family), and that was 167 hp on a tired pump. The truck will run up to about 14 psi boost now with a 4-inch exhaust. Nothing wrong with a non wastegated turbo. Takes a while to spool up but I got it for towing over the Rockies and it did that well. The pump was built back in 2000 and set it up to match the turbo by a guy that knew the DB-2. It was mostly built to a turbo IDI spec with some minor tweaks. Nothing real special. Injectors were new at that time but I 'd have to look at the receipts to see whose they were. Bosch, I think. The truck has just under 140K on it now. It was originally a high altitude calibration truck.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
interesting enough my truck is running better after the trip home to, maybe my rings seated more to:sly:rotflmao

or maybe i burned some crap out running it hard up some west Virginia hills at a hare over 220 and constant 1200 temps for a while.:eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online