2006 F350 6.0L for $1500

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I bought a used Ryder truck yesterday for $1500....153,000KM.....2wd, reg cab long box. The 6.0 needs manifold gaskets and possibly a headgasket/EGR cooler as it's using coolant. It also needs some work for MVI but the truck is well worth fixing....I'm probably going to part the entire truck out for a tidy profit but one thing nags me - what to do with the engine....Part it out or fix it and sell it for good coin as a drop it unit. I see that I can get a new Dorman cooler for $200 on Rock auto. I know the turbo's, IDM, injectors, HPOP and etc are expensive for these trucks so either way I'm in the $$$ but it's still a hard call as the engine has low mileage. I hope to have the truck home Monday night so I will post some pics. A friend of a friend bought his smashed truck back from the insurance company and sold the engine for $6000!....That speaks to me....:sly:rotflmao

I called 7 minutes after it was posted on Kijiji, made an offer and a deal with the salesman and showed up 2hrs later with my deposit...He said the phone went crazy over that truck right after I called....You gotta pull the trigger fast on stuff like that...LOL

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
come down here.

I paid 2K for a 2006 F550 crew cab, 4wd XL cab chassis. Had a flatbed on the back when i grabbed it. This thing melted a piston. i "could" fix the motor, but i personally hate these motors so much. Goes back to the days of doing HG's on a van for the first time.

I figured by the time i fixed it, put updated IPR, stand pipe/dummy plugs, egr delete and external oil cooler and maybe a IDM as this one was still origional, not reman. I would be in the cost of doing a cummins swap. So thats what i'm doing.

Found a 12V 5.9 Cummins from a friend's salvage yard. Cost me 1k. Came with a Allison 545 behind it. Bought a kit from destroked to keep the zf6.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
No sniff tests around here...Most car techs wouldn't know what an EGR cooler looks like around here...LOL....It's getting stripped and sold. I wouldn't own a 6.0, too rich for my blood when it comes to buying parts. I just finished putting a new frame under a 2004 F150 with 103,000KM...I bought it for $2000...I'm into it for $6000 finished. Easily 9-10K retail.....Like a new truck now so I think I' going to keep it to haul my drag car. I have two of my trucks for sale but I'll probably keep the F150 unless I get a really decent offer.

http://halifax.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...B-103K-NEW-MVI-RUSTCHECKED-W0QQAdIdZ344115102

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
well for the 6.0's i fix, i shove a piece of thin sheet metal with gasket on both sides on the tube end of the egr cooler and a freeze plug in the other end. works great! done like 100 of them now mostly farm trucks. The problems i deal with now are mostly IDM, harness, turbo and injector issues. Fuel quality is a huge problem with them. These trucks also idle ALOT. But the trucks are manageable. I just don't have deep pockets for new injectors constantly or the mileage they get.

Funny thing is, one of the vegetable farms bought a Tundra because they saw the commercial where Toyota tore a tundra down after being used on a ranch for 100K. My customer specifically stated that in the video the brakes lasted for 100k.

I laughed my butt off when it came in with 10K on it metal on metal in the front and there was a big ole dent in the cab where the bed hit.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I just don't have the desire to work on one of these 6.0's stuffed in there with a shoe horn and the cost to own one is crazy....Now this truck with a 7.3PSD or a 12V would be a nice rig for sure...I just don't need it. I have my 92 F350 4x4 and the B2300 and F150....I really like the F150, has room for dad, Darren and Buzz (my help and pit crew...LOL) when we go to the strip. It's easy on gas....The 5.4 would be nice but the 4.6 will do the job and I know the truck from top to bottom. It could take a while to sell the B2300, the economy sucks and things are slow up here. I think I'll do pretty well with parting out the 6.0, I already called my buddy at the dealer and put the word in that I have one coming.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online