20 psi?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I have to laugh now because all I read is how they need to be sent to a specialized shop to be repaired.......

I don't doubt that if somebody wanted to, and had the time and willpower, they could hack their way into a pump that would do on the track what they wanted. Personally, I've looked closely at tractor pulling setups, and there is a big difference in just working on a tractor, then one of our trucks. For starters, you won't kill your back working on a John Deere, or a DT-466 on an IH. The pump is right in front of you, at a very conveinent height. There is no air intake to get in your way when you slide the pump back. If fuel runs out, it goes on the ground instead of on your engine. However, if you like sliding DB-2's in and out of your V-8 all day while you experiment, have at it. I did it, and didn't like it. :puke: Not a lot of people are amature machinists, and if your advance piston and bore are not up to *****, you won't be happy with the streetability of the pump. Getting yourself set up to deal with that kind of repair IS specialized in my book. While I don't doubt your old school tractor pulling techniques have worked for you, I don't find many tractor pullers who are looking to share secrets about how they tweek their pumps. After all, it IS for competition. Show us a web site where a tractor puller is giving away his hard earned secrets and technical know how, and we will all go check it out! You can laugh if you want to, but the real joke will be when someone has nievely taken their DB-2 apart, because you've led them to believe it is so easy, messed it up, and then comes crying to you asking you to fix it for them.

motrack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok Mel....... you believe what ever you want to but tractor pullers no longer use rotary pumps having moved to inlines long ago so no one is really guarding the info but for maybe you and your moose pump builder.

motrack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
by the way mel..... your one of the people who slamed me hardest when this same subject came up on another diesel site a few years back.

Ken and a few others did/ were interested in what we had done with pumps and I shared then info with them.

but you go ahead and keep selling your moose pumps.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't believe I slammed you. Yes, I do sell pumps now. I didn't then. I'm not sure what the difference is. All I'm asking is that you back what you say with some kind of physical evidence, rather than just hear say. People need advice they can count on, and not information that leads them nowhere. It's not a contest. Heck, I don't make any money on them as it is, and do it as a service to the community, so I'm not interested in disuading people from doing what you did, I just want them to be able to do it. Make it so they can. :dunno

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
Oops, i must have accidentaly clicked the TDS link instead of OB.

FTW, Mel has been one of the most informative people on this site, and spends a lot of time helping people with advice, parts, services at the rally, etc. Everybody who has bought his pump has been more than happy with it, esp for the price.

motrack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IThis site is about info and I posted what I know to be true and what works for ME.

I dont care that you sell pumps. I am sorry that you were never able to repair one to you liking with out removing and installing on your truck several times.

there is a interest here in how to get more from your injection pump and I WAS only trying to show that the info is out there and there is no need to reinvent the wheel.

my posting was never intended to be a pi$$ing contest but thank you for reminding me why I stoped posting on another site.

motrack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never said the moose pump was junk. Only tried to provide a bit of info.

tractorman86

Reaction score
motrack, mel is just saying, and i kind of agree, it sounded like you where saying it was a job anyone can handle which we all know is not the case. as mentioned we all are here to learn from eachother and make some friends along the way so the hostility is not needed.

motrack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I look at it this way....... if a guy is capable of turning up a injection pump, replacing him own head gaskets, rebuilding his own engine ect ect then he is capable of doing some injection pump mods. some on this site can/are capable of repairing a pump.

I never ment to imply that EVERYONE should as it requires attention to detail and a high level of workmanship.

was not trying to be "hostile" in any of my posts but take it as you will

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I can see myself digging into a spare one that I got off another motor for cheap, if its not all that bad. But I dont think I would do it to mine, to much to go wrong, and then I would be SOL.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's all good Motrack. I'm not feeling hostile towards you either. I was just hoping you could guide the folks to this source of information, because everybody, myself included, wishes there was more info about this kind of thing.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a tech article somewhere on this "moose pump" I keep reading about? Like what differences there are in terms of performance, cost or MPGs? Not asking for the internal changes that are made, just wondering how they run compared to OEM or DPS pumps.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We need someone to do it, we also need to dyno a Moose, a stocker and a DPS pump on similar platforms. I have a core that nobody wants I've been thinking of digging into it, just for the heck of it, but I'd probably just ruin it. I can hardly rebuild a 2 stroke carb without turning it into a cluster you knowhat. I have done that successfully though and a bunch of the other things we discussed :)

motrack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
to be honest guys out side of notes I have wrote in a old DB pump service manual and the knowlege I and others pooled together over the yrs. I know of no "tech" write up but thats something to think about.

Maybe at some point I can do some pics of mods that were made and the why of it. some would not be practicl for a street driven truck and some would.

understand when these pumps were used in pulling big horse power gains dident happen over night. a lot of trial and error went in this to provide some measure of realibilty.

DB2 pumps were set up to use the largest dia pump plungers. Then the DB2s were changed/ converted to DB4s with the large plungers.

as the stock fuel supply pumps could not keep up we started to run electric pumps and then belt driven gear/ or vane pumps.

next was to replace the stock injector lines with larger dia lines and then it was changing to a larger injector tip.

also as pumps were asked to provide more fuel intake and turbo systems were asked to provide more air. A good friend of mine was the 1st I knew to use multiple turbos in pulling as we had way more fuel than could be burnt and today runs a quad setup.

I dont know the final configuration of Ken or Mels pumps but know from my own personal experiance a large plunger DB2 in good condition with the screw maxed out provides more than a enough "smoke" for most people with a 6.9

My everyday truck has a DB4 cranked pretty high and can/will make enough smoke on demand that people behine me have stoped because they cant see......... just ask my wife.

some here have PMed me and I will try to answer your question as best I can but not tonight. its been a long day.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm real interested in swapping in a DB4 head it seems like a good mod. Do you lose a lot of fuel economy over a stock system when you drive normally??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online