1999 7.3 MPG

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
What all should I check on my truck to see if i can squeeze more mpg out of my truck? Its all stock from what i can tell. I heard there are some sensors that could get clogged and need cleaned. What other things should I check and what simple mods can I do to get some mpg out of it? The next major mods im gonna do is Cold air intake and bigger exhaust without a muffler. Gonna run smoke stacks. What you guys think? Any ideas?

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
i did a Napa 6637 intake and a MBRP 4" turbo back exhaust and still get 14-15 empty on the highway and 9-11 towing. keeping the speed under 60 and keeping a light foot so you dont hear the turbo it the only way i can get my best numbers. i wish i could pull down 16-18 like some guys claim.

wpfd571

Reaction score
I also did the napa intake (a good bang for the buck mod), 4" magnaflow turbo back exhaust with no muffler, 203 thermostat and a diablo preadator tuner on the 40 horse setting i get around 17 mpg and have seen 18 a few times in the summer in the winter its around 15 with the longer warm up time and winter fuel. Your right foot is the biggest factor in fuel mileage, ideling your truck to much will also hurt the mpg's.

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
This napa intake, is it just a knock off part? How much was it? How you think it compares to a good aftermarket like AFE, K&N, Airaid? Im all about bang for your buck! I've decided on a 4" turbo back system with stacks just waiting on my catalogs from various places to see who is cheaper or do you guys already have an answer to that? Im gonna clean my EBPS sensor and tube. Any other sensors or parts that might be plugged?

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
My truck came with a K&N cold air kit and I added 4" exhaust to 5 " stacks and an edge evolution II and on the extreme setting the wifes getting 17-18 back and forth to work and a couple short trips we ran were we used only about half a tank of fuel on the trip and the rest was nromal driving we were up to 19+

wpfd571

Reaction score
The napa intake is just an open filter most think its just as good as the aftermarket kits, the filter is around 50 bucks and you just need a 4" piece of pipe to connect it to the stock rubber hose. You should head over to superdutydiesel.com its a great site for powerstrokes and the wiki section has how to's for most of the cheap and easy mods lots of info on there

mudxtc

Reaction score
my 99 cc, lb 4x4 is getting 19.2 mpg right now completely stock..........but I drive like a little blue hair :)

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
Well I belive this truck is all stock and im not gettin good mpg. Now i havnt completely filled up the tank yet but i usually put 20 or 30 in it. I only got 11mpg. Of course part of that was hauling my 21ft trailer. I did have to replace the EBS pipe. It was pretty much clogged and it actually was leaking and rusted in two. I replaced it today. Cleaned the sensor too. The diaphragm in the sensor looked ok. Hope that wil help me. Do you guys know the part numbers for the filter and the pipe i would need for my 99? I've been doin a lot of research on the Tymar filter and the AES set up. Im goin as cheap as possible but I dont want to go too cheap. It seems alot of people like the tymar set up. If i save money in the intake area i could go bigger on other mods.

aaklingler

Reaction score
the filter # is 6637 and I think you just need like a 3" piece of straight 4" exhaust tubing and a hose clamp.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
i had to get a 4" 45 degree exhaust fitting and cut it down to fit. my truck is an early 99, dont know it later ones are different.

You must be registered for see images attach

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
The Tymar and other after market filters are not a requirement. Go with the NAPA filter is more than adequate. One of the best things you can do is change all the fluids out to synthetic; with the amount of miles it's probably a good idea to change everything anyway. Also, you may have a hub or brake caliper dragging, and on a truck that's got as many miles as yours that's a distinct possibility. I would definitely check for that. If nothing else, cut the muffler off the truck and straight pipe it. The programmer or even the 10k mod will give you a little more power which tends to help mileage a little as well. What size tires are on the truck? If you're running bigger tires and/or a mud grip you can expect bad mileage. Also remember that right now we're all forced to burn that dumb-assed winter blend diesel which tends to hurt mileage pretty good as well. If the trannie is stock you can bet the torque converter is getting worn; when that happens the truck has to work twice as hard to do the same amount of work and mileage suffers greatly.

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
Is that rotella oil synthetic? I know its a fresh oil change. I just put on the napa filter tonight. Havnt tested it yet. Replaced the EBS pipe cause mine was plugged and actually rusted in two. Cleaned the EBS sensor. Has new glow plugs. I probably need new injectors even though it seems to run great. But I'd like to get some bigger ones anyways. Im mainly goin for fuel effiecency. Can you rebuild the old ones and put different tips on them? Im gettin 4" turbo back exhaust system with stacks but havnt decided who to go with. I have my eye on a programmer from a guy i know.

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
Rotella makes both a semi-synthetic and a regular oil. There's debate as to the best oil out there and everyone has their preference. Mine is AmsOil. The fluid in the engine is only one part of the system though. The trannie needs to be flushed with a full synthetic, the t-case probably has never been changed and could use a swap, and both pumpkins need to be serviced with a synthetic as well. Injectors do go bad and they can be tested for functionality by most any diesel service center.

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
But can you rebuild the stock injectors to stock or make them bigger or should i go with bigger injectors? yea next on the list is tranny and front and rear oils changed.

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
If you're going for MPG I would go for sensible power levels, no lift kit, and stock injectors that are either rebuilt or new. I don't know if the larger injectors will really be necessary unless you're wanting lots of power which usually comes with a mileage penalty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk