1997 F SuperDuty questions.

crazytwo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First, I know it's not an IDI... but this is where all the cool kids hang out.:sly

A buddy has a 97 with around 300k on it. 7.3 Power Stroke with a 5 sp. manual. Engine was rebuilt @ 20k miles ago. Trans was rebuild too. It's a cab and chassis but he will throw in a flat bed. I took it for a short spin. I can't believe how tight the truck is. A kidney belt is required in it's present state. What kind of money is this worth? I have a bunch more questions after I nail down a value. The truck is clean for it's age. It just a basic company truck and they got rid of some older truck because of the CARB regs in California. A lot of money was put into this truck. Any feedback?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you will be good for three years at the most in kali.
2015= 1994 and older dies
2016= 1995 and older dies
2017= 1996 and older dies
2018= 1997 and older dies.
the kill date is 12:01 am and Jan 1st of whatever year. either non-op, export trip permit, junk slip, or face a fine of $2500/day if caught operating it on any kali road.
need clarification? click on the linky in my sig.

crazytwo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I looked on various websites as well as your link. When it is time, the truck can go to another state or part it out. Does $3k sound fair or too much?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, I looked on various websites as well as your link. When it is time, the truck can go to another state or part it out. Does $3k sound fair or too much?
i personally have been buying F450sd's for $1k or less these last few years and parting them out. the seller has a choice, get something for it now or get nothing later and time is running out.

crazytwo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know he won't go that low. Maybe I can get down to $2500. I have yet to go through all the receipts for all the work that was done. A thousand is much lower than I thought.

A couple of other questions.

Is the frame width the same as a F350?
If I found an extended or crew cab, would I be able to switch it over.
RPMs are about 2400 at 60 mph. Would this be something like a 4.88 ratio? Is a ratio change difficult?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know he won't go that low. Maybe I can get down to $2500. I have yet to go through all the receipts for all the work that was done. A thousand is much lower than I thought.

A couple of other questions.

Is the frame width the same as a F350?
If I found an extended or crew cab, would I be able to switch it over.
RPMs are about 2400 at 60 mph. Would this be something like a 4.88 ratio? Is a ratio change difficult?

to begin with, a F450 in kali will require commercial vehicle insurance. if you think you're paying too much for personal auto, you have no idea what an assraping you are in for. again, a f450 in a commercial chassis vehicle. all similarities end at the back of the cab. if you do go SC or CC conversion, you have some serious work ahead of you. I've done it before and fielded a working F350 SC towtruck when there was none avail other than on the custom market. if I am to do it ever again, I have two words....time and materials :D.
on the Dana 80 you have two ration choices back then 4.62 and 5.13 . there is rumor a member was able to put 4.10's in a F450 dana80 housing, but I have yet to see proof. photos are golden.
a F450 is a very pet to have...trust me on this. think very carefully before adopting one.

crazytwo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up on the insurance. That is something that did not cross my mind. I had an E450 school bus that I insured through my regular insurance company. I am no stranger to commercial insurance and don't much care for the premiums that I pay now and have paid in the past. I need to check with my agent.

Without going into great details, what was the major problem with the cab switch.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the frame widths between the commercial chassis and the pickup chassis is different. it necks dowm from pickup width right behind the cab.

as seen here:
attachment.php

crazytwo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is frame width measured from outside edge to outside edge?

Last edited:

crazytwo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Believe it, it is what it is. Just saving up my cans and bottles to buy my thousand acre ranch in Montana.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That whole thing in Cal is practically unbelievable.

well it's not like they have a choice though.they're extremely overpopulated out there.with so many people,just each making a small carbon footprint is multiplied by the masses.we've all got to breathe lol.they let it go,and the air will look like China.

Moretorque

Dunce
Reaction score
well it's not like they have a choice though.they're extremely overpopulated out there.with so many people,just each making a small carbon footprint is multiplied by the masses.we've all got to breathe lol.they let it go,and the air will look like China.

There is no doubt about it we are in big trouble. Rather than do all this bull chit legal fiction they should just come out and tell us how it is so we can move much more quickly into a sustainable system for future generations.