1997 E450 Parking Brake Assembly

J-bog

Reaction score
that "should" be your sensor you need to pay attention to. do a continuity check on both plugs. one "may" be for cruise control if a aftermarket system is present. both cannot be providing signal to your ECM, only one can. if you are a betting man, throw the odds with the rear one.

Interesting! So, there wouldn't be two sensors at play, even if they were both plugged in? There's no cruise control in the vehicle, it's very basic. The stores around here do not have that gear driven speed sensor in stock, so I guess that leaves me with the rear sensor. This has the same part number, but looks a little different at the part that inserts into the rear differential. Do you think it'll be compatible?

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...f-9e731-aa_1354575_3189&keyword=f37f-9e731-aa

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting! So, there wouldn't be two sensors at play, even if they were both plugged in? There's no cruise control in the vehicle, it's very basic. The stores around here do not have that gear driven speed sensor in stock, so I guess that leaves me with the rear sensor. This has the same part number, but looks a little different at the part that inserts into the rear differential. Do you think it'll be compatible?

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...f-9e731-aa_1354575_3189&keyword=f37f-9e731-aa
the one in the e-brake is supposedly for 87-91 F450(superduty). why yours has a connection plugged in I cannot answer, but wiring trace with a continuity check will answer many questions.

J-bog

Reaction score
Well, here's the latest. I pulled out my multimeter and tested both sensors. The sensor at the differential tested fine, the one at the transmission tested bad. I went ahead and replaced both of them anyway. The new sensor in the transmission doesn't have the proper 20 tooth gear yet, all I had on hand was an 18 tooth gear so I used that to test it out. I also added 4 ounces of mercon to the parking brake assembly just for fun. I fired it up and drove it around the block a couple times. At first it was shifting rough, but as the engine warmed up it was shifting fine at about 10 mph and then at about 20 mph. I parked it, shut it off and then remembered I wanted to park it on a hill to see if would slide, so I fired it up and drove off again - this time it wouldn't shift at all. I drove it around the block twice more and it wouldn't shift.

I parked it and pulled out the transmission sensor, it looks fine, has some ATF on it, but it's not hot and the gears look perfect.

One thing I noticed last weekend was that I could feel pieces of the old melted gear in the parking brake assembly through the fill hole - I thought that if it shifted fine I would take it in and have the parking brake assembly taken apart and flushed out. Perhaps this has something to do with it?

The other thing is that I had to test with an 18 tooth gear, not 20 tooth. Is this an issue?

What do you all think? I also went ahead and checked all the fuses, they are all fine. I hooked up two code readers and neither showed any codes. I also disconnected the battery and let it set overnight this weekend just to be sure everything was reset and good to go.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, here's the latest. I pulled out my multimeter and tested both sensors. The sensor at the differential tested fine, the one at the transmission tested bad. I went ahead and replaced both of them anyway. The new sensor in the transmission doesn't have the proper 20 tooth gear yet, all I had on hand was an 18 tooth gear so I used that to test it out. I also added 4 ounces of mercon to the parking brake assembly just for fun. I fired it up and drove it around the block a couple times. At first it was shifting rough, but as the engine warmed up it was shifting fine at about 10 mph and then at about 20 mph. I parked it, shut it off and then remembered I wanted to park it on a hill to see if would slide, so I fired it up and drove off again - this time it wouldn't shift at all. I drove it around the block twice more and it wouldn't shift.

I parked it and pulled out the transmission sensor, it looks fine, has some ATF on it, but it's not hot and the gears look perfect.

One thing I noticed last weekend was that I could feel pieces of the old melted gear in the parking brake assembly through the fill hole - I thought that if it shifted fine I would take it in and have the parking brake assembly taken apart and flushed out. Perhaps this has something to do with it?

The other thing is that I had to test with an 18 tooth gear, not 20 tooth. Is this an issue?

What do you all think? I also went ahead and checked all the fuses, they are all fine. I hooked up two code readers and neither showed any codes. I also disconnected the battery and let it set overnight this weekend just to be sure everything was reset and good to go.
ok...... the sensors tested fine. did the wiring show power going to it? that's what you need to look for. one should have power the other shouldn't. the 18 and 20 tooth gear will show up in the speedo reading faster or slower. btw....was the OD light blinking when it wasn't shifting?

J-bog

Reaction score
I didn't test the wires to see if they were live. I'll start the truck and check.

No, the OD light was not blinking. No lights were on at all. Let me see if I can crawl under the rig and test for power real quick.

J-bog

Reaction score
Okay! So I am getting 1.47 volts from the connector to the speed sensor at the transmission and nothing from the sensor on the differential.

J-bog

Reaction score
Okay! So I am getting 1.47 volts from the connector to the speed sensor at the transmission and nothing from the sensor on the differential.

These readings were taken with the engine running.

J-bog

Reaction score
Well I thought I'd give an update. I took the vehicle to a second mechanic after replacing fuses and not finding any electrical problems. This mechanic took the parking brake assembly apart and showed me how it had overheated and burned up. They also dropped the pan on the transmission and found a lot of metal filings in it. This mechanic agreed with the first one that the parking brake assembly had burned out, but this one went further and said that the transmission will also need to be replaced/rebuilt. They couldn't reattach the parking brake assembly, so I can't drive it and I'm in the process of parting out.

Thanks for your help on this. I was hoping the situation was a little more cheaper than it turned out to be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Staff online