1997 e350 quit running

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I posted this same thing in the gasoline forum but I got no answer and now it got to a point where it will quit running every time I come to a stop I've been shifting it to neutral before I stop so it will stay running but it is not very safe to drive like this. If I give it throttle it will stay running but not otherwise. I got code P0171 and P0174 which are related to the MAF sensor so I replaced it sensor (cleaning it didn't fix it) but when I turn on the engine I set on the brakes and shift it to drive and the engine will quit. I'm lost and I really need it running properly so please help Me if anyone knows what it could be.

Thank You.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
MAF = Mass air flow. I didn't know the tps could stop the engine from running but then again I know nothing about automatic trannys. How do I check this to know for sure?

Thank You.

cm1hedge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a tps cause the engine to flood at idle on a 1987 5.0 EFI. If the ECM does not get the correct reading of the throttle position, it will either not inject or over inject. It seems odd it would not throw a code for it .

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I had a tps cause the engine to flood at idle on a 1987 5.0 EFI. If the ECM does not get the correct reading of the throttle position, it will either not inject or over inject. It seems odd it would not throw a code for it .

It will run at idle problem is that it will quit once You put it on drive.
I was working on it this morning and I noticed there was several vacuum hose sections that where damaged (age) so I replaced the little rubber sections. I started the engine and put it on drive but since the engine was cold the idle was higher so it wouldn't quit but after it warmed up as soon as I put it on Drive with out giving it even a little throttle the engine will quit. At the same time, after the little hoses change the tranny started shifting very ******* 1st 2nd and 3rd gear. The exhaust smells nasty like unburned fuel. I put the scanner again this afternoon and it gave Me code p0102 (something wrong with the MAF) but I just replaced the MAF sensor.

I need this vehicle for work but I can't afford a mechanic so any help is appreciated.

Last edited:

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I found out it is not the tps sensor either. Idles perfect but I switch it to Drive and it dies. If anyone is waiting the appropriate time to give Me the fixing tip I think it is right about now :D.

Thank You.

Did I ever say I hate engine with computer.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
It isn't the upstream oxygen sensors (2) either nor the PCV valve or boot. There is at least 20inches of vacuum at idle. Still the same problems (engine dies if I shift to Drive or Reverse with out giving it some throttle) except now it doesn't shift hard anymore I found the MAF sensor was disconnected and provably causing this hard shifting.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
not to ask an annoying question, but whats the idle set at?
can you just up it 300rpms till you get it figured out?

hows power at wot?

Exekiel69

Reaction score
not to ask an annoying question, but whats the idle set at?
can you just up it 300rpms till you get it figured out?

hows power at wot?

That is a good idea, I don't know how but I'll check the manual.

Power is there, if I step on it the van moves like it always has the problem is if I don't rev it up even a little.

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
Take the idle air controll motor (IAC Funny looking solenoid like thing on throttle body) off and clean it out real good with something that works (like Berkible 2+2). While its off clean the 2 passages that it breathes through on the throttle body with the same stuff. Put it back together and it might just be fine after that.
When the IAC getts gummed up it cannot respond fast enough to increase the idle.
The next possible culprit is a lockup converter on the E4OD that does not quite unlock. This can be caused by anything from a restricted transmission cooler line to a dying tranny.
Ken

Exekiel69

Reaction score
IAC is bad, just put a new one on

I removed the one on the van and it was full of dirt or some dark soot, I cleaned it with some MAF sensor cleaner and put it back then the van didn't start at all (never happened before) I tried a few minutes later and it started ok. I'll have to drive it and see if it goes away or else I have to "special order one" .

Thank You.