1996 Probe gt v6

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I've a check engine light on this car for some time, tried connecting the scanner but for some reason it does not seem to get connected with the car computer. At the same time I have a low charging problem with the same vehicle, replaced the alternator and checked all wires but it still have a low charging problem and the check engine light which I think may be related.

Tip: someone said the voltage regulator on this vehicle comes in the computer and that is with it does not recharge when the vehicle is in drive :confused: .

If anyone have an idea of what this could be or the right forum to post it I'll appreciate it.

Thank You.

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes, the regulator is in the PCM, make sure you check ALL fuses and coonections/harness to the pcm first. i have found on the probes, the main harness runs under the left front wheel well area (above the inner fender well) and will get extremely corroded and cause crazy electrical problems. pull the inner fender and look at the harness....first

highest_vision

Reqistered User
Reaction score
EZ, I looked at some wiring diagrams for that. Shows two fuses in particular: 15A 'meter' fuse in the passenger comp fusebox, and the 30A 'f/p inj' fuse in the engine comp fusebox. The second seems unlikely since it runs. There is a connector behind the battery for these wires, it is supposedly behind the battery (general area). If you wish to take a meter to it, there are terminals B, L and S. KOEO B should be battery voltage, L should be about 1v, S should be battery voltage. KOER B 14.1 - 14.7 , L 13 - 14 , S 14.1 - 14.7 . Probably need to backprobe the connector at the alt. Internally regulated according to the diagram, but seemed to be more likely for ford at that time to do it in the pcm. If it is regulated by the pcm, you will be able to 'create' a charge condition by full fielding the alternator, you can also fry something if you leave it this way. At least you know where you are at when you reach this point. Wiring will be unlike what I just said if it is in the pcm.
James

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I was reading the haynes manual and it mentioned the l, b and s wires You said. I will try and put some voltage to it to see what it does. Also the alt charges well when it is just idling but it is low when You put the tranny on drive :confused:

Thank You.

highest_vision

Reqistered User
Reaction score
EZ, if it IS internally regulated, and the wires are getting the correct voltages, applying voltage won't help. Some (maybe all?) GM internally reg alt have a hole you can insert a pin to full field them, don't know about ford. However, if it charges in park, sounds like this an external problem. Maybe check those wires for their required voltage in park, then again in drive (maybe block the wheels ;Sweet ). I suspect that your 's' wire is losing power in drive.
Does the engine idle speed drop significantly when in drive without recovering? The idle air control valve should maintain a somewhat steady idle, and when you shift into drive it will open some to keep the idle speed close to or the same as what it was in park. If the engine speed drops but doesn't come back up, it is conceivable that your alternator may not be able to charge enough. I would think you would have to be close to stalling though.
James