1996 Build

Joejohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This build is my dads. He started with a 1991 7.3L IDI 4x4 diesel. It had about 550,000 miles on it when we got it. Not long after that he decided to switch it to a 5 speed manual trans, and then from there I installed a 1994 factory turbo ATS kit for him and adjusted his fuel pressure and turned the boost up to 12 psi bringing power from 155hp to more like 230hp.

The truck pulled well but it was old and tired. After a valve train noise started in after an 1100 degree egt hill pull he decided to rebuild the truck. The original plan was to rebuild the stock IDI but after finding a whole running power stroke truck he just decided to swap to a powerstroke and rebuild it in the process. First plans were a 4X4 and manual trans swap on the powerstroke truck but it has snow balled into plans for 400+hp. Here are the trucks.

1991 F350 4x4 high boy 5 speed zf 7.3L IDI
You must be registered for see images attach

1996 F350 2wd auto Power Stroke 7.3L DI

Joejohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Planned upgrades:

Turbo upgrades- Swap to larger 2002+turbo, cutom built 4" housing outlet, Wicked wheel compressor wheel, Exhaust back pressure operated waste gate, lower AR turbine housing, 6.0L Intercooler swap

Fuel upgrades-Stage 1 high pressure oil pump, stage 1 fuel injectors, complete primary fuel system upgrade including pump regulator and lines, new fuel tanks for a combined 110 gallon carrying capacity

Exhaust Upgrades-4" downpipe 4" stainless exhaust

Trans upgrades-6 speed swap with 450hp clutch

Axle upgrades-2002 dana 60 and sterling 10.5 rear with all wheel disk brakes. 4.56 gears and detroit locker at front and rear.

Engine upgrades-Rebuild, balanced, total seal rings, arp studs, ported heads

Joejohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To simplify the swap dad is going to take the 4X4 front axle and bigger rear 10.5 axle and install them on the 2wd 1996 chassi with the high boy springs. This way he wont have to wory about wiring issues or body and cab swapping. It will make it easy since the 1996 has a clean body and interior. The only dings were in the hood and one door wich dad replaced instead of fixing to make it a sand and paint body. (He didnt want to have to do body work)

The biggest thing is the new turbo set-up.

Joejohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So here is the turbo with the fabbed 4" outlet housing and new exhaust operated waste gate.

Here is the wicked wheel and polished compressor housing

Here is the stock exhaust outlet housing compared to our home built version

Joejohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the six speed back today. It was from a 6.0L So we took the guts from it and put it in a 7.3L housing. Also ordered a short through shifter for it. 4" exhaust kit is in and Its time to make a trip to the machine shop. More pics to come.

Joejohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is the 4" down pipe. We will have to cut some off of it were it swedges down to 3" for the factory connection. Will will cut that off and weld on the other 4" V-band flange somewhere close to where my pops is holding it.

Oh and the entire fuel system showed up the other day.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fuel upgrades-Stage 1 high pressure oil pump, stage 1 fuel injectors, complete primary fuel system upgrade including pump regulator and lines, new fuel tanks for a combined 110 gallon carrying capacity

if youre shootin for 400HP thats not gonna get you anywhere near 400hp.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
Nice build looks like you guys jumped in head first with it and are really going to town. I would love to see any pics of the transmission swap as I don't understand as I thought is was impossible to swap 6spd guts to a 5 spd case? Are you trying for 400hp at the crank or wheels? What fuel system and size injectors did you get and what kind of programming are you gonna use cause some of us that don't know it all would like some more info. I would love to do what your doing but I have to use my truck to much to be able to tear her down and go thru it like this

wils2527

Dumb Engineer
Reaction score
Yeah I'm also interested in the fuel system and size injectors that you got. This seems awesome wish I had the money to do something like this.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hes gonna be running stage 1 injectors.

if your lookin for 400HP,stage 2 injectors,intercooler,electric fuel system,SD ****** HPOP and some tony wildman programming will get ya there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bradz

Members online