1995 6.5L in VAN vs 1994 6.5L TD in PICKUP

VanBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, I might have the opportunity to obtain another 94 pickup w/ a 6.5L TD (wrecked front end).

I have a buddy w/ a GMC van that needs a 6.5L diesel. I am told that the vans had NO electronics (just mechanical injection) and were not turbo at all (not till the 6.6L). So, here is my question.... if one were to strip off the turbo and the electronic controlled injection system off the TD and put the original injection system off the non turbo van engine, would it run? Or is there a difference in the compression ratio?

Thanks....

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should run fine if you strip it down and install the van parts. The only issue you might find is the intake manifold bolts are rumored to be set at a different angle in the heads. You could always buy a van turbo system (it was an option later)

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
whoever told you that is wrong. all my chevy mini busses at work are 6.5.

everyone is turboed, and from 94 on they have the same electronics. the turbo is in the valley though. intake,exhaust manifolds are different.
You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

those pcis are from a 2001 express chassis van. can see where the turbo goes and the electronic pump.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
pickups and burb's still ran the side mount turbo. vans and humvees got the valley mount turbo. van heads have a different angle for the intake bolt drilling. here is one solution. van/humvee 6.5 in a '83 pickup with a 6.9/7.3wg banks turbo. this thing takes off at the light like a ***** ape :D

Attachments

• 83gmc2500a.jpg
    83gmc2500a.jpg
    531.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 83gmc2500b.jpg
    83gmc2500b.jpg
    530.4 KB · Views: 27

VanBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah, so it does have that electronics mounted on the pump then. Was it an option to not order a turbo? As in a 6.5L N/A? I'm sure the van is a 95 and has NO turbo.....

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, you could get a non turbo 6.5 until the mid 90's.

Depending on the van model I have seen mechanical IP's up to a 95. Take a pic of the injection pump to and we can tell you what you have.

I'm not sure if redrilling the heads for a van manifold is possible, these heads are thin in spots to begin with.

VanBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, the doner truck I was thinking of getting for my buddy sold. I wasn't really able to talk to him about it prior to the auction ending. It was a twin to my pickup (I have the other thread running here). I told him about a 95 6.5 engine in a van on Craigslist....not sure if he called on it. They were asking $900 or so. The twin to my truck, 94 6.5 TD, with front end damage due to a deer. It only went for $655..... I should have bid more...but couldn't get a hold of my buddy.....forgot to tell him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online