1994 turbo idi, exhaust problems.

wanabebig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey, as the title say i have an exhaust problem on my 1994 factory turbo idi exhaust. What it is, is the cast iron piece that mounts to the passenger side manifold, and the crossover pipe that comes from the drivers side. Where that cast up pipe piece that goes into the cast iron pedistal for the turbo, its leaking exhaust there. What can you do to fix that? Finally have the truck put together from it being rolled over and that is whats stopping me from being able to take it to Grand Lake this weekend. Thanks for the help.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
if your asking about between the turbo and the up pipe, there is a metal gasket in there.

wanabebig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah between the turbo and the up pipe. theres a gasket in there? how does that work? i just thought it was like a slip joint or something? how do you go about fixing that? sorry for all the questions, this is my first time dealing with a turbo set up, and i couldn't find any answers with the searchin i did..

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
between turbo and up pipe pedestal is a metal gasket looks like this.

You must be registered for see images

wanabebig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah I knew of that one. Sorry miss communication. Down below where the turbo mounts before it gets to the manifold theres what looks like a slip joint or something. Not at the turbo down below that, in the middle of the cast piece. If you get what im trying to explain?

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
If im not mistaken that is the slip joint that everyone complains about so much there is no gasket but I know people have talked about using stove pipe sealer just might be a ***** to get apart

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I almost have my turbo install buttoned up and it leaks in that same spot to the point I really dont get much boost off idle and I cant hear the turbo spool. I can feel that its working and it pulls harder but not hard enough lol.

Im going to take the pipes off again and see if I can get them a little tighter, Then its stove pipe cement lol.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I almost have my turbo install buttoned up and it leaks in that same spot to the point I really dont get much boost off idle and I cant hear the turbo spool. I can feel that its working and it pulls harder but not hard enough lol.

Im going to take the pipes off again and see if I can get them a little tighter, Then its stove pipe cement lol.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I use this exhaust putty, had the same problem. My engine bay got all sooted up and black, what a mess. Exhaust has been apart and back together twice with this, works like a charm. Put an eighth inch film on both sides and install, its that easy.:eek:;Really It says Yale Automotive across the black banner. I thought Walker had a stake in its manufacture.:dunno It was like $5 and three installs are out of that tube.

Attachments

• exhaust paste.jpg
    exhaust paste.jpg
    426.5 KB · Views: 14
  • exhaust paste 3.jpg
    exhaust paste 3.jpg
    438 KB · Views: 18

wanabebig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey thanks for the replies.. looks like i'm going to find that exhaust stuff GOOSE posted about. if not then i guess its the stove pipe glue.

wanabebig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i got some of that exhaust putty at napa, but haven't had the time to work on it since its harvest time around here. hopefully i can get a few spare hours in the next day or so to get it sealed up.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mines sealed up since I started driving it. Now I need to adjust the wastegate for more boost.