1993 E350 7.3 IDI diesel van transmisssion question.

crazytwo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently bought this van that will be picked up next week. It has an IDI engine but no trans. Did this have a E4OD in it.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Should have! I have seen a couple of these idi vans, and they all had e4od transmissions in the correct year models.

crazytwo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, next question. Engine is not non-computer controlled. What about the E4OD?

Wvdirtroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure someone will chime in, but I believe I've read that the E40D is controlled electronically.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a transmission control module. Some sensors in the transmission, a throttle position sensor on the IP, and a few other misc sensors the feed the transmission control module info.

Wvdirtroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard a lot of people mention the E40D is a finicky transmission, although I've never driven anything with one (that I'm aware of). I suppose due to the additional sensors etc. I do like the C6 I have now.

crazytwo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I bought was a 1992 E350 school bus/van. It has no transmission. I am not sure if it just removed and thrown in the back or not there at all. I am assuming it is not there at all. I got it for cheap so I am not too concerned. If it will cost too much to get it back on the road, I might part it out. It is a pre-smog check California diesel van so that is worth something.

Would it be too difficult to turn this into a manual transmission. I have access to a ZF 5 speed behing a 460. I know the bell housing is different but any thoughts would be welcomed.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since it once had an E4OD, the TCM / TECA is probably still there. So should the throttle sensor on the IP, etc. Is the shifter still there?

ZF5 doesn't have a bellhousing; it's the case itself you'd have to re-drill if it was behind a 460. People have put a ZF5 behind in a van, but they never shipped with manuals, so there's no "plug and play" swap. Pedals, floor shifter, and no-shifter column will be your challenges.

crazytwo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since it once had an E4OD, the TCM / TECA is probably still there. So should the throttle sensor on the IP, etc. Is the shifter still there?

ZF5 doesn't have a bellhousing; it's the case itself you'd have to re-drill if it was behind a 460. People have put a ZF5 behind in a van, but they never shipped with manuals, so there's no "plug and play" swap. Pedals, floor shifter, and no-shifter column will be your challenges.

Can I rob some of these things from the F350? I spoke with someone earlier that mentioned redrilling the holes. I wasn't aware this was possible.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure you can use the shifter/boot from a truck. Not sure about the pedal box.

A lot of the forum sites have specific sections related to vans. Might find more 411 there; that's where you might find someone who's done this.

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can do a manual swap, but I don't think you can use the truck pedal assembly. There were Econolines that were manual transmissions, just not the diesel ZF5 so it won't be exactly plug and play. You would need to source the manual stuff from an Econoline and then adapt it to mate with the ZF5 trans.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
There were NOT any 92+ Econolines that had a manual transmissions. They were all automatic.

In the 74-91 Econolines, there were some.... that had a manual transmission, but these were the earlier ones, and were a mechanical linkage. The ZF-5 uses a hydraulic system.

If the 2 body styles use the same pedal box (I highly doubt it, the front floor and firewall lines are different) you might be able to find a pedal box. But then you have to make it work the ZF-5.

This is not impossible, but it would be MUCH easier to throw and auto back in it...... even if you went to a C-6.......

Being a 93, it should have been an E4OD....... quick way to tell... do the indicator have just a D or does it have the D with a highlighted O around it? That indicated OverDrive

crazytwo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I used 2 years. It is a 1992 not 1993. I know they are pretty much the same. I don't think I want to deal with the hassle of making it work. I called one wrecking yard. The guy told me 92-94 would work. I found a 4R100 for fairly cheap but I guess that won't work.