pedro_8149

7.3L Remote Turbo
Reaction score
Hey all, i just picked up a turbo diesel vw jetta, its a 1991 just wondering if theres anything at all i can do to the motor to get more power realitivly easy..... and cheap.....

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
This engine was not meant to run hard from the factory like the TDIs, they just used the turbo to clean up the emissions by putting more air into the system. The turbo is really small, and probably won't do anything but heat up the air really bad after a certain boost point. But, that doesn't mean nothing can be done.

Do the usual things first like uncork the intake and exhaust systems. Get reliable boost and pyro gauges installed, you need to know how much boost you're working with stock. I don't recall if there are some differences between the EcoDiesel injection pumps and NA diesel pumps as far as the adjustability goes, I'm thinking the Eco pump is sealed, but don't quote me on that.
But if that's not the case, turning the delivery up on the pump is the next order of business, and bumping the timing slightly.
Since this motor's camshaft is in reaching distance, I'd give Web Cams, Schrick, Techtonics or one of the other VW performance cam grinders a call and do a cam swap. This little diesel can rev out pretty high, and a mild cam will really wake it up. Be sure to check the piston to valve clearance.
After that, you need to go bigger on the turbo and match it with a set of higher flowing injectors.

Last edited:

NextENRG

Reaction score
http://www.vwdiesel.net/forum/index.php?topic=22780.0

this is a good forum to start at, with the correct mods these motors will pump out 120-150 reliable HP and up to about 200 for those with deep pockets.

i have a 91 jetta as well with a t3 100% stock.... slow spool and much to large for factory tune but capable of 30-40psi

heads start lifting at ~20psi on stock studs and gasket (24:1 compression)

i agree with ameristar1 on priority items, stock injectors are sufficient as well as the turbo and pump. Look into the "Giles pump" which is self explainatory haha

Others have gone above and beyond
You must be registered for see images attach

http://www.vwdiesel.net/forum/index.php?topic=579.0

this is very close to the same methods as you would use to tune the pump

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zemmeron