1990 F350 7.3 LEAKING AT TOP OF INJECTOR/S Losing my mind on this ....

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well thats really great that you finally have it running leak free. I'm a retired machinist and I can tell you this.. A crack in the injector hard lines is going to be really tuff to see or find. Remember the injection pump is pushing at least 1850 lbs thru those lines but is capable of making about 5400 lbs of pressure. So an invisible hair line crack becomes a gusher at those pressures. Even with my ability and all the tooling of a multi billion dollar company I still did not actually see my hard line leak. I even used a special die check penatrant with developer and still did not see it. Can you tell us what line was replaced and did you have all 4 line clamps on this hard line system???

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As for the shop that said you need all lines and pump. I would post them somewhere, thats a pretty crappy blanket fix, and it may not have cured it,they must have technicians working there.

TwinForks90F350

Reaction score
Thanks again everyone. Just had a chance to reread the thread .
To answer a few questions:
Injectors are 8 years old. New motor with 55,000 on it now, after the prior owner failed to add the additive to prevent cavitation. Got my 88 that way. very common in these parts to forget the additive.
The line in question was #2, ( front right cylinder as you're looking at it ). #6 and #8 seemed to be a concern for the older man but there was nothing visible at all to me or anyone else.

The insulator clamps as I just learned this morning may be the culprit. Stopped at a local eatery this morning and the old man was there with his wife. He asked us to come over and sit with them and we talked for quite a while. Awesome fellow. He said that the clamps are not holding the lines as they should. He urged me to replace them. (" Spend a few dollars now for your new motor he said and never worry about that problem again ". ) Those clamps seemed snug to the rest of us however I will order the new ones as he suggested. There's no substitute for such wisdom.

Meeting him Monday to discuss his theory on the tranny, Christine as he called it again. Really hopeful that he can figure that problem out too. Says he normally doesn't get involved anymore but likes a good challenge and especially likes someone that appreciates someone like him. Not sure what made my day more,,,,the benefit of his knowledge or the honor !

Thanks again folks. Glad to be here. Enjoy the weekend, it's great fishing weather here.

**** Almost forgot : With regard to the shop that wanted to bang me for the new IP and 8 lines etc.... ,,things have a way of working themselves out and word of mouth spreads fast !

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The guy was no less than 70 and standing off to the side. I did as he asked. The guy says "so youre the one that appreciates us older folk , call me Monday and lets meet to talk about the Christine transmission".
I agreed and left in awe !
The hard line had a fractional crack, virtually impossible to see so the old man said. Said the plastic caps were fine but needed a slight filing before they too started to leak. O rings were brand new, and they were. Soft lines on the return were new but he found two areas that could be problems.

BINGO; Cracked hard line and clamps? Hey us old guys know a thing or two. At 70 he's just a young punk yet. LOL Try 87.

Edit:
Those clamps seemed snug to the rest of us however I will order the new ones as he suggested. There's no substitute for such wisdom.

Those clamps may be obsolete. Just sold the last set I had. Might just be a junk yard item, or one of the members here may have some.

Last edited:

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I believe there's a aftermarket company making some also.
Not long ago someone had posted about them.
(Now that I think about it, could've been awhile ago. Damn army life makes time go fast lol)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe there's a aftermarket company making some also.
Not long ago someone had posted about them.
(Now that I think about it, could've been awhile ago. Damn army life makes time go fast lol)

That was me, didn't take long to sell them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US

Members online

No members online now.