1990 F150 5.0L Fuel Consumption

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
I have had my 5.0 for about 5 years now and has always been there for me. Well, lately I feel she has gotten jealous of my F250 and all the modifications I have done to it.... What is the normal HWY MPG on these with the AOD transmission? Right now she is running really rich, getting about 5 to 6 MPG and I am easy on the throttle! Does anyone know where to start? I tried changing the plugs and wires, that didn't do anything. It also sometimes feels like it is going to die when moving from park to drive, can feel it. Now that I am done with my F250, I wanna get the 150 running good. In case anyone asks its a 1990 Ford F150 5.0L SCSB 4x4 with the AOD. Hope someone has an idea cause I dont!

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What codes do you have? I would start by looking into a misfire or bad O2 sensor/ wiring, depending on what codes you have. That doesn't mean buying those parts, it means testing them. Lot of possibilities here and diagnosis of problems such as yours can be tough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
What codes do you have? I would start by looking into a misfire or bad O2 sensor/ wiring, depending on what codes you have. That doesn't mean buying those parts, it means testing them. Lot of possibilities here and diagnosis of problems such as yours can be tough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I just dunno where to start, I have never really had to dig into anything yet. I am not getting any codes....A few years back the check engine light would come on and off, back when I was in school I had the shop teacher check it with the code reader and it said O2 Sensor that it was running rich.... I may just change out that sensor.... Seems like a good start I suppose. I don't think it's a misfire, she runs good and gets up and goes, just drinks as much fuel as a 460 i feel..... Whats the average MPG on these things anyway?

hallgren87idi

Reaction score
i got a 95 f150 5.0l with auto and i get about 15 mixed city and hwy. id guess i get near 18 if not 20 on the hwy if i kept it at 60, cause the OD is awesome i just added a tach but i forget think it only tachs like 1600 at 55

whitehorse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My guess would be the o2 sensor...but might want to check the temperature sensor or see if it has a air intake temp sensor causing it to run rich...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7