1988 F250 Craigslist Find

yowen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That would be the first year for the E4OD, might look for rebuild papers. If no papers, might budget $2500 for a rebuild in the near future.

You are thinking a rebuild is likely due to the age of the truck? 81,000 doesn't seem like a lot of miles to worry about one.

Wow, $2500, thats the value of the truck, haha.

yowen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Judging from the pic, the truck has been sitting for quite a while, seeing all of the dead pine needles on the windshield wipers and cowl. Very nice clean truck, The color combo is not one that I have seen before that I remember, Tan with the Red Interior.

And yes the tranny could either be a C6 or E4od in 89. Could also be a zf5sp,...

I would not be afraid to offer them $2200.00 and go from there.

Yeah the guy said it has been sitting a long time. "it could use a good cleaning up".

Yeah, I wasn't expecting red interior on that color truck, but it sure looks like it from the picture.

I'm also in Grand Rapids, btw. Looks like your truck has a distinct grill, I'll keep an eye out, haha.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Yeah the guy said it has been sitting a long time. "it could use a good cleaning up".

Yeah, I wasn't expecting red interior on that color truck, but it sure looks like it from the picture.

I'm also in Grand Rapids, btw. Looks like your truck has a distinct grill, I'll keep an eye out, haha.

Let me know if you would like help looking at the truck, If it is local I would glad to go with you to check it out. I own D&L Auto Sales at 7876 South Division, so I kinda know what to look for buying these trucks. Feel free to stop by sometime.

Let me know.

yowen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to ask the guy some more questions, to see if I actually want it. Because there is few things that would be a deal breaker, regardless of me seeing it.

I wish it was local, its about hour and a half drive a way.

But, should I buy it, I'll stop by!

Edit: Darren, whats your opinion on the likelihood of a transmission rebuild?

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
Let me know if you would like help looking at the truck, If it is local I would glad to go with you to check it out. I own D&L Auto Sales at 7876 South Division, so I kinda know what to look for buying these trucks. Feel free to stop by sometime.

Let me know.

I now have a new bar set to even get close to how awesome your "Big Ed" is....And I thought my 91 was awesome!! What a killer truck dude...

bobracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Early E4ODs weren't the best, kind of like the 700r4s. Now with the factory updates they became a decent trans and with the aftermarket they can be built almost indestructable, but will cost.
Then there is that little saying, stay away from first year models, 89 is the first year.

Just saying it is something to look out for.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
I couldn't find in the thread where it had been decided that there was indeed an E4OD in the truck. If not, the C6 is very easy to service and indestructible besides. The value depends a to on your needs and capabilities. I hate doing bodywork, so will pay a little extra for a smooth body but crap engine. My silver truck cost $400, but had a bad HG. No biggie, it had a killer body (no dents or rust anywhere), clean interior and shiny paint to boot. Turning wrenches is fun for me, so rebuilding the engine was a bonus, of sorts. You learn a lot looking at all of the pieces as you put them together.

yowen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I couldn't find in the thread where it had been decided that there was indeed an E4OD in the truck. If not, the C6 is very easy to service and indestructible besides. The value depends a to on your needs and capabilities. I hate doing bodywork, so will pay a little extra for a smooth body but crap engine. My silver truck cost $400, but had a bad HG. No biggie, it had a killer body (no dents or rust anywhere), clean interior and shiny paint to boot. Turning wrenches is fun for me, so rebuilding the engine was a bonus, of sorts. You learn a lot looking at all of the pieces as you put them together.

Thats a good point. How much would it cost me to upgrade an E4OD to something solid?

Coyote_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW C6 plus gear vendor overdrive:sly for a small fee of $2995 new. Used I have hard that they can run the 1500 range. Give you a nice six speed automatic.

yowen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha yeah, it'll only double the cost of the truck. I suppose if it'll be my truck for many years to come it'd be worth it. But making that investment certainly rules out ever selling it for anywhere close to the purchase price.

yowen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does this gives away that it is an automatic, does it tell you guys E4OD or C6, someone here mentioned the D would circled if its an E4OD?

You must be registered for see images

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
My feeling is that is a C6. It were an E4OD there would be a circle with the D in the center of it........

You must be registered for see images attach

yowen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My feeling is that is a C6. It were an E4OD there would be a circle with the D in the center of it........

You must be registered for see images attach

yikes. That's disappointing. Whats a C6 at 70mph? Low 10's mpg?

It's looking like I'll have to keep looking. Pity with the truck having such a nice body.

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
Does this gives away that it is an automatic, does it tell you guys E4OD or C6, someone here mentioned the D would circled if its an E4OD?

You must be registered for see images

I thought it was circled, but that still may be the E4OD. I believe the C6's didn't have even a line under the D. You still need to go look at it. If it has the button to the right of the steering wheel on the dash under the gauges then it is an E4OD.