1988 F250 Craigslist Find

yowen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sorry yowen im on an i-phone and usally text posting and fingers dont really fit usally I get the wrong word a few times before. It should be a c6 I believe it was 91 that it was e40d because I was told that 90 model it was an add on option I may be wrong but I might be right. I can say alot of 89 when I bought mine were c6. I paid 2600 for mine with 190k so 2500 or less if it has c6. E40d or zf5 I would pay up to the 3,000. You need to look it over basically in person my 93 with 104,626 had nothing new the return lines, alter, everything exhaust nothing had been changed not one thing its digital od but I can still roll those back but I knew it was an true milage truck because of the fuel system and headgaskets and so on.

Thanks Devon.

As per wikipedia, Ford started making the E4OD in 89. And It also states they started putting them into F-Series in '89. So there's a chance.

I agree on your pricing, I wasn't prepared to pay more than $2600 for this. Unless it is an exceptionally nice truck.

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
Thanks Devon.

As per wikipedia, Ford started making the E4OD in 89. And It also states they started putting them into F-Series in '89. So there's a chance.

I agree on your pricing, I wasn't prepared to pay more than $2600 for this. Unless it is an exceptionally nice truck.

Agreed. A buddy of mine got this same truck but with 180K and 4WD, 89 F250 E4OD, Lariat, and he paid 1600 for it. It was pretty beat up though and needed the front end rebuilt and a bunch of other stuff. He's easily 3 grand into it now and the paint sucks...lol

FordGuy100

Reaction score
$3000 is a bit high for a 2wd truck, even with no rust and low miles. If you were interested I would haggle that price down. Sounds like a good buy if you can get the price down a little.

yowen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$3000 is a bit high for a 2wd truck, even with no rust and low miles. If you were interested I would haggle that price down. Sounds like a good buy if you can get the price down a little.

Where would you like to see the price ideally? $2500, or even below that?

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I paid 1,350 for The Pig in my sig but hey I found someone dumb that wasnt a big fan of old stuff I think that it was a steal and a deal of a life time. I have yet to see another deal like that noor do I ever think I will find another one. Ya it would be nice if it was a 4x4 but you will not find another they are not 2 years old and there not makin anymore zero rust, low miles in great shape anything 3k and under is exceptable.

yowen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha ok. Makes sense.

As for upgrading to 4WD, how hard is it on the wallet if I do the work myself? I imagine it could be expensive and time consuming...

I really wouldn't need it though as it won't be the vehicle I'll rely on to get me places during heavy snow and slick roads. But 4WD is just plain cool :)

I also fear, from the pictures, that it has the red interior, I am not a huge fan of it. But I suppose I could start replacing bits and pieces to make the red a little less overwhelming.

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
The red is really not that bad. You get used to it. It's better than brown....Not as good as blue.lol Changing to 4WD is time consuming for sure. Best way is to get a straight Dana 60 axle. But you also need a 4WD transmission, or you have to custom install a divorced transfer case and have a custom driveline made for the front. IMO you need to have a TRUE creampuff 2WD to ever want to spend the 2-3 grand or so and endless hours you need to finish the swap...

Black dawg

Reaction score
Thanks Devon.

should be an e4od, but I have seen a few with a c6. Around here, 2 wheelers have very little value compared to 4x4, you should be able to talk them down quite a bit.

yowen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
haha, that truck just wouldn't be worth the effort for 4WD, for my purposes. Thanks guys!

What are some clues it has an E4OD? Would there be an Overdrive on/off switch on the shiftlever?

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
There would be an O/D off button to the right of the steering wheel on the dash under the gauges. And the "D" on the dash will be circled.

Tim4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's as clean as it looks in the picture it would be worth the asking price. It is not a truck that you could buy and flip but where are you going to get a cooler cleaner truck for less money? How much it is worth really only matters to you.

For 3k, I'd probably end up buying two clunkers when you can spend the money and have one decent truck.

I have one like that with minimum rust and yet fairly clean that could be had for $1,500.00, but that's the value of mine. Yours seems much nicer.

bobracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That would be the first year for the E4OD, might look for rebuild papers. If no papers, might budget $2500 for a rebuild in the near future.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Judging from the pic, the truck has been sitting for quite a while, seeing all of the dead pine needles on the windshield wipers and cowl. Very nice clean truck, The color combo is not one that I have seen before that I remember, Tan with the Red Interior.

And yes the tranny could either be a C6 or E4od in 89. Could also be a zf5sp,...

I would not be afraid to offer them $2200.00 and go from there.