1987 F250 Electrical issues...(Image heavy)

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this is my favorite thread :hail
You must be registered for see images attach

eye had to recycle a harness out of the junky from a bricknose for my 87 and yes it was a little different then mine but mine was half there.

the new one has the 300 six distributor plug where as mine did not have it. and for some reason eye have not found the wiper motor lead from my new harness.

so eye read with my eyes peeled here:love:

anyone recognize this relay connector?

Attachments

• 06-28-16 031.jpg
    06-28-16 031.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 9-25-16 028.jpg
    9-25-16 028.jpg
    709.3 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Cruiseomatic

Defining Insanity
Reaction score
I know what this looks like. :eek: When I started the work, I found that mickey and Minne mouse had dinner on one and ate through it. Couple others just got the insulation. The one they ate through I cut, stripped, soldered, and sealed up. Since the others were not ate into just some insulation and a tiniest bit of copper showing but barely any, I cleaned up the area and drowned them in liquid tape and ran a zip tie around to hold for the time being until I could do more with it. That was a year ago. From the conduit bottom right coming in, I want to water proof or weather proof, which ever is better all the way up to and a little over the plastic barrel connection to protect the area and keep it worry free permanently. I also want to keep those wires tightly together so they can't chafe or rub the tape off. I do plan on cutting the ziptie off. It was a temp hold. I have a couple ideas how but unsure. I just don't want to be fording high water or something and water or something conductive get in there and cause problems.

This is a factory job. Under deteriorating cloth electrical tape from ford was this. And actually, It was under that gloss plastic tape that just breaks off then cloth. Either way, There is no solder or any kind of mechanical or true electrical connection. It is literally 7 wires compressed to each other into a neat square. One of them is a ground for the chassis harness. I'm afraid to pull the apart to solder it and put heatskrink over it for fear I can't get it to go back or stay. Could be part of my gauge problem. It is pretty nasty. Most of these wires are. Even inside the barrel is bad.

Lastly, Almost all of the connections under the hood are not weather proof. 30 years has taken its toll. How do I clean the round pins and blades? After I magically some how get them clean, How can I weather proof them aswell? I know, Lots of questions but this is going to be done to last a lifetime. I don't want to be one of these guys who are always having electrical issues or bad grounds they can never track down.