1985 Ford f250 4x4 super cab 460

bigblue85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:thumbsup: ok so i was driving the other day in the country by where i live and noticed an 85 ford supercab sitting in the weeds. as im driving in my 85 supercab i pulled over and checked it out hoping some old man wouldnt come out witha gun and pop one in my a** for lookin at it. As i was checkin this truck out i seen that it had not one spot of rust on it... the paint was faded but i figured some wax to it and it might make a shine. tires were brand new but just had a little dry rotting due to sitting. it had the 4 speed borg warner t-19 like mine, a dmi bumper, brush guard, and amazingly a bbf460 the truck was completely straight. id say after a little work it would run strong. i went up to the guys house and asked him what he would take he said a grand in cash since the body is so good. and im planning on going back after my taxt returns come in. i was wondering if it would be hard to convert that truck to a 6.9? would i have to change the sending units? and the tank selector valve and the lines???

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
the motor and tranny will drop in, you just need to change the mounting plates on the frame.

my truck was a gas 351 2wd, i swapped the diesel stuff into my truck but have yet to swap the diesel cluster in.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
well with mine i had too, mine had the high pressure gas fuel pumps and lines. i actually kept my stock tanks, modifed the senders by removing the pumps, i ran new line from the tank senders to a fuel tank selector switch. i dunno what the stock 85 fuel system looks like or if it even has a return or pumps in the tank but its not a hard job even swapping the fuel system over. my truck was done over the course of a weekend.

bigblue85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cool i mean this truck is completely straight it just is musky on the inside and from what the old man said the truck hasnt been started in years but he promises a shot of eiter and some gas it will fire so i was gonna pull the 460 and drop a 6.9 in it and drive it while get my 85 repainted and put new fenders and a bed on it. that old man said hes had cummins, powerstroke, 454bbc, 6.5 and even the crappy 6.2 chevy trucks and nothing pulled like the 460 and even used the term it would pull the devil outta hell with a log chain haha. but i figured i would retire the 460 and put a new state of mind in the 85 with an idi :)

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
my 89 F250 460 BB 5 speed 4x4 would pull the ground out from under my idi. The 460 is strooooong but thirsty. best i got was 8mpg unloaded in that truck but it was always in the city with the a/c on. my 7.3 idi turbo gets 16 city on wmo...

I love my idi diesel, but those 460's pull. i have twin 460's in my boat and they love being at wot!

bigblue85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
heres a pic finally right before i brought her home :)

pretty good shape for not movin in 4 years lol got a steal on it though... prolly gonna throw a 6.9 in it

Attachments

• Photo104.jpg
    Photo104.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 60

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran new rubber line, re used my gas tank, and.... took coil trigger for IP trigger.

Then ran mechanical gauges for water, oil, electricity, as I had no desire to decipher the EFI harness to see what I needed to splice into. the one mount plate unbolts, the other needs some hot wrench action, as there are rivets.

Have fun!

bigblue85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran new rubber line, re used my gas tank, and.... took coil trigger for IP trigger.

Then ran mechanical gauges for water, oil, electricity, as I had no desire to decipher the EFI harness to see what I needed to splice into. the one mount plate unbolts, the other needs some hot wrench action, as there are rivets.

Have fun!

the industrial rivets are stupid i had to grind off the old ones for my rear shock mounts just to replace them!!

adrianspeeder

USAF C-17 Avionics
Reaction score
I see rust.

I also thought the twin exhaust trucks are 351 units. At least how they are with the EFI flat noses.

And if it is a gasser, it'll be a T18.

Adrianspeeder

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
I see rust.

I also thought the twin exhaust trucks are 351 units. At least how they are with the EFI flat noses.

And if it is a gasser, it'll be a T18.

Adrianspeeder

Yea,..He said there was rust on it,.....But overall the truck looks Great!

That is not stock exhaust, the pipes are too close together.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726