1985 f-250 loosing all power

projectdagger

Reaction score
hello.. i just found this forum last night. might i say that i have learned a lot. i have been a very proud owner of an 85 f-250 4x4 with the 6.9 engine with a banks turbo, and a automatic transmission. while driving down the road, the o'ford would littlerally shut down and i'd loose power to everything. it's honestly like the batteries are going dead. but i'd let 'er sit for roughly 7 hours and power returns as normal. i've replaced both batteries, the alternator, along with the voltage regulator. honestly i'm not sure just where to look. thank you for allowing me a moment of your time

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depending how long its been running before it shuts down, it could be your injector pump overheating. Any blue/white smoke coming out of the exhaust?

projectdagger

Reaction score
it usually stalls after a mile or so. i lose power to everthing, power windows, radio, cigaretter lighter, lights, the works

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Theres a main connector on the passenger fender well, I'd bet money one of those wires is shorting out. I had this same issue for some time in the brown truck after installing the turbo motor back in the day. Found a connection with very heavy wire running to it was shorting out.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Theres a main connector on the passenger fender well, I'd bet money one of those wires is shorting out. I had this same issue for some time in the brown truck after installing the turbo motor back in the day. Found a connection with very heavy wire running to it was shorting out.

What he said. Check for corrosion at connectors and/or hot spot near fusible links. I bet money you will find it behind the battery on the passenger side.

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
If all of those connections check out on the passenger fender well, I would check your grounds, faulty grounding can be a pita.

johnnyb1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'v had alot of problems with ignition switches on all of mine { 86,87,88 and 89 } And my 90 150 too. Just a thought.

whalebus

Reaction score
I would check the bulk head connector near the fuse box for loose wires. Try running it at home and start wiggling wires and see if it dies on you.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I would check the bulk head connector near the fuse box for loose wires. Try running it at home and start wiggling wires and see if it dies on you.

That is exactly how I found mine. It would die on me in town, I'd be messing with stuff and all of a sudden I had power back. So I drove it home and just started pulling on wires until I found the one that caused it to lose power.

86 f150 6.9

Reaction score
I had this problem on mine.. There is some kind of plug right on top of steering colum under the dash.. Mine was not plugged in all the ways.. Check it out