1972 ELECTRIC FUEL PUMP ???

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 1972 F-250 4x4 Hi-Boy with a (so I was told) 390 and automatic.(all this automatic junk was later installed; it came original with a 4-speed.

This engine and transmission, although very drivable, is just so much scrap iron to me, as I have a 1st Gen. Cummins and 5-speed sitting on the pallet awaiting time for me to install it.

To start this truck, I have to dis-connect the in-line filter and pour it and the fuel-line full of gas; then, I have to dribble gas in the carburetor, over and over and over, start then die, start then die, start then die, about a hundred times until it finally decides to sit and run on it's own.

Once running, it will go all day.

If I have it running one day, I have to go through this mess all over again the next day.

YES, there is a nice brass check-valve in the line just ahead of the see-through inline filter; regardless of this check-valve (Yes it has been tested), the inline filter will be bone dry the next day; I don't know where the gas goes.

I have a low-pressure A/C-brand electric fuel-pump that I intend to install in order to fore-go all this priming non-sense.

Keep in mind that I only wish to be able to move the truck around the place for mowing the grass, and occassionally to move trailers around the place.

I am not hitting the highway for hundreds of miles.

My question is :

1. Can I simply route the fuel line through the electric-pump, leaving the mechanical-pump still operative.

2. Should I dis-connect the lines from the mechanical-pump and let the electric do it all ??

3. If I go with situation #2 above, must I also remove the old mechanical-pump and employ a block-off plate; what would be the result of just leaving it mounted ??

Thanks.

zpd307

Reaction score
it is the same principle as our lift pumps. if i were to do it, i would yank the mechanical and block it off, and then route the line anyway you want. but you could leave the mechaical in and route the line around it. i dont see the point in running both pumps at the same time. and then there is the fuel in oil/ oil in fuel issue......

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Correct delete the mechanical pump and put the electric only pump in there...you'll most likely need a fuel pressure regulator also.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Midnight Rider, if the A/C Delco pump you have makes less that 9psi of fuel pressure you will not need to add any pressure regulators. The best way to install the electric pump would be on the frame rail of the truck as close to the tank as possible, then you bypass the mechanical lift pump and feed the carb directly off the e-pump. You can leave the mechanical pump in place in the block, or pull it and use a block-off plate, it/s your call on that, either way works. If leaving it in place you may want to pull it first and pull any plunger that may be driving it, and then you can reinstall it again, but really in my buddy's '86 diesel we simply bypassed the mechanical pump and left it in place as is.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
THANKS FOR THE REPLIES

I will just plumb around the mechanical-pump and plug it's lines to keep critters out.

I just want to be able to start the thing without it being an all days doings and dinner on the grounds.

I don't worry about it not starting once I get the Cummins in it.:D

Thanks.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
just got to agree with the others i have left the mechanical pump in vehicles to plug the hole after a electric pump install. never had a problem.

sure the float is not sticking with all that rigamaro you got to do?

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sure the float is not sticking with all that rigamaro you got to do?

It may be.:dunno

It won't hit a lick until I squirt a squirt of gas in the carburetor, then it will fire instantly, run a second, then die.

It don't matter how much cranking, choking, etc., it won't make any effort to fire without first squirting the gas in.

I am a DIESEL man; I never have any trouble starting a diesel.;Sweet

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE

I got the electric-pump mounted.

I disconnected the fuel-lines to the mechanical-pump, both in and out, at their end-points, and plugged them with 3/8"-bolts to keep critters out.

I installed an entirely seperate new fuel-line all the way, such that I can easily remove the electric-pump if the need arise.

I flipped ON the switch, watched the see-thru inline filter that is about a foot ahead of the carburetor, and when that filter was sloshing full of gas I tried the key and the engine fired right off.

It still only ran a second, then die; start right off, run, die; etc., etc., until it warmed enough to keep running on it's own.

Although not quite perfect, this sure beats having to squirt gas in the carburetor about a hundred times.;Sweet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Staff online