$1500 for a 7.3L engine with 231,000 miles?

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
jackson, MI craigslist > for sale / wanted > auto parts
please flag with care: [?]

miscategorized
prohibited
spam/overpost
best of craigslist
Avoid scams and fraud by dealing locally! Beware any deal involving Western Union, Moneygram, wire transfer, cashier check, money order, shipping, escrow, or any promise of transaction protection/certification/guarantee. More info
1990 ford f250 parts - $1 (jackson)
Date: 2010-12-14, 8:22PM EST
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

parts for sale factory re-manufactured international 7.3 liter diesel motor 70,000 miles $1000 and e4od trans 10,000 miles $500 , (fits other years and models) diesel speedometer with tachometer, power steering gear box $70 used very short time like new, ford 10.5 rear end with 4.10 gears and traclok 8400 gvw springs $500 ,fan shroud $40, headlights $40 each, corner lamps $40 each. if the ad is up its still for sale!

* it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 2113365322

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I just wouldnt pay that much for an IDI. The most I would pay would be $750 and I would have to hear it run.

Junkyard here charged $350-450 for a complete engine, you unbolt and they will help lift it out for you. Thats how we picked up our cummins for $400

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
I just wouldnt pay that much for an IDI. The most I would pay would be $750 and I would have to hear it run.

Junkyard here charged $350-450 for a complete engine, you unbolt and they will help lift it out for you. Thats how we picked up our cummins for $400

You mean the one that you have to rebuild,....?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
You mean the one that you have to rebuild,....?

Yup, that's that cummins. We took the head to a machine shop for a complete head job (180$). We need a complete gasket kit ($250). We will inspect the bearings for wear. Probably do piston rings. Block is alright I think we can clean up those two cylinders with a hone. We should be good to go after that. Also a KDP while we have the whole thing out as well. I'm hoping we are under the $1000 mark when said and done.

Last edited:

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hard to believe all those IDI's low milage from 86 to 92, with the 5 digit odometer on them. My 90 had 84,000 on it the guy swore it only had that. Dumb me, got a Carfax after I bought it, close as I could figure it had 284,000. Lot smarter now.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
i never know what to think with that. my 86 is sapposed to have 210000 on it. but the injectors are original and it runs great. injectors still have the ih grey paint on them and mel even agreed they appear to be original. so i dont think mine has that many miles on it. as for the motor i am getting. i belive it. farm truck. never left the farm area. they bought it new. so yea it was probly abused, but still runs great.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most farmers take good care of there equipment, and yeah if it's still painted IH gray they would be original injectors. Who would install new injectors then paint them gray.
Run an Auto-RX treatment thru that engine, you will see a hell'va difference in it. It's not a harsh treatment like some others, just a gradual clean up, I would recommend changing the filter half way thru the treatment. Thats what I did. Amazing stuff.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
i have had the valve covers off when i put the turbo on. very clean inside. nothing on the inside of covers or around the head