12volt timer for converter lockup

Wellused

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not much luck using search,so I thought I would ask.After installing resistors for the line pressure and dialing in the tps,trans works great.However,the lockup so soon after the shift is a bit annoying.What bout a timer in the lockup circuit.There is a 0-10 second adjustable 12volt timer on amazon for $12 or so.Anyone ever try a timer to prevent lockup so soon?I was thinking like 2-4 seconds would do it.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
I once did a manual lock up mod with a toggle switch, due to me having a TC that would always lock at different times and drive me crazy. I loved the mod an never had an issue with it. Probably a lot easier on the TC and trans to. I would even lock in in second when pulling heavy up any steep hills. Where I would have got the trans very hot if it was unlocked the whole time, not to mention the crazy high revs and poor fuel economy I would see along with that

Wellused

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought about the pcm throwing a code.I will get under there today and find the resistance of that solenoid for lockup and fool the pcm with a relay and a resistor to get the impedence close enough that she wont kick a code.Those little timers will switch 5 amps,looked again and are microprocessor controlled and only $6.

Wellused

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sunkee 12v adj timer Amazon didnt know how to post link

Wellused

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today I rigged up(really rigged up) a small 110 ciggarette socket 110 volt inverter and used a timer that we have at work.I dont know if its kicking a code or not,but it works great.By the way,its a 1990 model.I work in a tech shop,we have shelves full of electronic catalogs.Im thinking a small programmable logic controller with a few inputs is going to work even better,as it can be programmed with a tps voltage as an input as well as a signal from the shift solenoids to break the lockup signal and restart the timing process(before lockup)They are getting cheaper and smaller every day.I cant believe they programmed the lockup to operate in this manner(stock) I will gladly spend $250 to get this lockup operating in a proper manner.I really like this old truck(will get that sig filled out) I was lucky to pick up a 60K mile truck with 0 rust and 1 owner who really didnt mess with the old girl much more than basic maint.

Wellused

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By the way,if anyone on here knows basic PLC programming,PLEASE chime in.I studied basic ladder logic for programming them but....or gate,and gates ect.Kinda rusty