10k mod

mudslut350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I did the 10k mod wrong at first and I had minor results but it was noticeable. Was bored tday and fixed it to how it should be and all I have to say is WOW! On the low end tyereis lots more instant power. Enough to breakthe ass end loose by stomping on the go pedal. I will post apic of i later so you can see how to do it. That was the hardest part was trying to finger out what wires to bridge. Anyway I have heard like 100 hp gains but I am not sure because I don't have access to a dyno. U can use different resistance ratedresistors for different results.

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what is this 10k mod? and what does it do to improve performance? one more question what year powerstroke does this work on? my buddy has a 2002 powerstroke im sure he would like to get some more power from it

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I know it'll work on all 7.3's. I think it has a bigger affect on sd's, so his should be a good candidate.

Basically you're just fooling the PCM into thinking the ICP is lower than it really is, so the PCM ramps it up to correct it.

Honestly if he has the money, tell him just get a chip.

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
he is actually going for all around performance, he is new to diesels and like me doesn't want black smoke, he is looking for improved power AND fuel mileage so he is looking at a 4 inch exhaust system and maybe a new turbo propeller, i was looking at the 10k mod on you tube and it seems like a nice mod but not really a fuel mileage saver so i don't think he will be interested, ill still tell him about it though, if anything electronic wise though will be a programmer more than likely, thanks for the info, didn't mean to hi jack the thread if it did

mudslut350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes 100hp is reachable with the 10k id have to dig again but i found a post about 6 months or so back a guy had done the mod with different rated resistors and tried several combos from 4k ohm on up to 22k ohm and yes dyno numbers showed 100hp i cannot remember exact numbers but want to say it was somewhere in the neighborhood of 100hp and 130tq gain. only thing is with this it is not adjustable so it does kill milage. a chip that you spend $500 for to do the same thing will adjust itself depending on where your foot is on the go pedal and will only bump up power when needed. i am planning on in the near future to get a riostat and a switch so i can turn this on and off. mine is a 97 but from what i have read you can do this to all 7.3ls. also cruising around a parking lot is difficult as the power is almost instant so its a quick snap and hard do gradually increase power.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
On an obs you can't gain 100hp without doing injectors.

Someone is bs-ing the info.

Only way to get near that is actual fueling changes and timing changes.

Find it and post it up.

mudslut350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well it changes both fuel and timing when doing this mod and you can advance timing even more with the eot mod basically the same thing only tricking the computer into thinking the engine oil temp is low increasing timing to "warm it up" was not able to find that particular one that i had seen before not sure where it went but all i am finding is a could with just a 10k mod that were getting almost 100 tq and about 40 hp. but the one in particular that i had seen i only found it once before and the guy had tried at least 10 different resistance rated resistors and the highest number he had was 100hp and 140 ish ft lbs. he had also specifically mentioned only other things done to the truck was a exhaust and intake but it was all done prior so his increase was specifically from the 10k mod. ;Sweet ill keep looking a little more for it but anywho this mod is still a dollar fifty for a holy $hit difference. rather than a $400 tuner.

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
It is literally IMPOSSIBLE to get that kind of power increase out of an OBS powerstroke without some serious mods to support it. The injectors can't push enough fuel to do it. They're only 90cc. And OBS powerstrokes don't have any computer setting to "advance timing to warm up the engine". They use the EBPV for that. Timing is dead set and can't be messed with.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
^ Thank you.
I didn't know know obs timing was like that. (Thought I could feel/hear a difference in mine when it's cold)

mudslut350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes you can check out baz's page in the "tons of valuable powerstroke information" thread you can increase timing and amount of fuel by tricking the computer with these mods essentially the same thing a tuner does only a tuner is adjustable and adjusts as you give it more go pedal. with the resistors its one set value and does kill mileage which i noticed on one drive to work. I am planning on wiring the mod to a switch and a riostat so i can adjust and disable it on the fly.

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
And this is all coming from a guy who says SuperDuty injectors won't fit in an OBS engine. Not saying that everything he says is wrong, but the guy is obviously not an expert. He's just repeating stuff he knows from other sources and explaining it in laymen's terms.

And you obviously don't understand how the PSD computers work; if the PCM sees low IPR readings, then the PCM will increase the oil pressure to the injectors. That's why the 10k mod exists. BUT, you can't just go all out with the biggest resistor you have, because eventually the PCM will see that nothing it does will increase the pressure up to what it deems as acceptable pressure to run, and it will shut the whole engine down to protect itself. AND, the pressure can only increase as much as the HPOP is able to supply that pressure. On a stock OBS PSD with a 15* HPOP, your oil supply is going to run out before the PCM is done asking for more pressure. That's why when you upgrade injectors, you have to upgrade the HPOP to be able to supply the extra oil they're asking for.

mudslut350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm well either way the 10k mod does what Im looking for and as far as running out of oil supply what do you mean because theres no way all the oil in the system can be pulled up into the hpop. I have found that 5.6k has given me the best results so far and still runs relatively smoothe.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Running out of oil= hpop can't supply the volume/pressure the injectors need.

What year is your truck?
And auto or manual?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle