$1.40 per litre for Diesel....WMO.

datkinsonsr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ummm, yeah, guess I should have mentioned that they won't handle that high of pressure if they're empty LOL

Remember it is Pounds per Square Inch - so if the entire inside surface is exposed to the air pressure it will be too much force. I think you'll find that if it is half full of liquid and lying on its side to where only 1/2 of the top and bottom are exposed to the air pressure it will probably handle about twice as much pressure without damage. Also using a smaller diameter drum - like one of the 25 gallon drums - should help alleviate that problem.

Even if not, 18 PSI - or even 10-15 PSI should be more than enough to push the oil through the fillter(s). 10-15 PSI is certainly more pressure than you're going to be able to generate with a hand-cranked pump. :thumbsup:

One other thing I was thinking about today is how to make it flow through the filters easier - especially in cooler weather. I think if and when I give this a try, I'm going to mix the oil 50/50 with diesel before pushing it through the filter. That ought to reduce the amount of pressure it takes to push it through the filtration unit by about half.......

Guys, PLEASE BE CAREFULL WITH AIR PRESSURE! Just some approximate figures for a 55 gal drum, @ 5 psi you are creating about 37,300 Pounds of force inside the drum regardles of how much oil is in it. At 30 psi, the force is about 223,800 pounds of force. Thes drums are not built to hold pressure!
There have been many drums blow up at 5 psi to "get the oil out faster".

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Yep, exactly why I used an air pig for my system....If I want something bigger I can buy an old 60 or 80 gallon air compressor for more capacity but after yesterday's test run I think my 9 gallon tank is just fine.

pat_da_man

PatMan
Reaction score
well i stuck about 10 litres of filtered wmo into my rear tank(not sure how much fuel was in there)prolly 70/30 mix max. started it on normal fuel and switched it when it go warm. didnt really see any differece. the exhaust smealt like oil but it wasnt smoking or anything. couple times felt like there was a little air in my fuel which could verry well be as i have been fighting similar symtoms prior. i switched it back to my front tank couple km's away from home tonight to ensure a normal start just incase.;Sweet
so far so good for me. kinda nerve racking to putting that black stuff in my tank hehe but cant pick out any complaints yet

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I'm going to mix some fuel in with my rear tank today, I only only about 2gal as that was all I had right now....-11C this morning.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I don't really want to move this, but the rules are the rules. And we may be able to benefit from others in the alternative fuels forum.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
well i stuck about 10 litres of filtered wmo into my rear tank(not sure how much fuel was in there)prolly 70/30 mix max. started it on normal fuel and switched it when it go warm. didnt really see any differece. the exhaust smealt like oil but it wasnt smoking or anything. couple times felt like there was a little air in my fuel which could verry well be as i have been fighting similar symtoms prior. i switched it back to my front tank couple km's away from home tonight to ensure a normal start just incase.;Sweet
so far so good for me. kinda nerve racking to putting that black stuff in my tank hehe but cant pick out any complaints yet

it get easier after the first time:D

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
My test run will come on Thursday when I fill up, the rear tank will be about 30-40% WMO and ATF, I'll leave diesel only in the front tank until I see how the oild girl likes the new taste...LOL

lazyscholar

Reaction score
technically shouldn't we get the soot out of the oil. does anyone know how much a john deere fuel filter filters down to? there is someone who uses sock filters from vegpower.com are they reuseable? I just bought a 2 micron water filter from lowes its just staying in there, should i mix it with some diesel to thin it up a bit? i would really like to make a good system but the word cheap must be inserted in, unfortunately.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
technically shouldn't we get the soot out of the oil. does anyone know how much a john deere fuel filter filters down to? there is someone who uses sock filters from vegpower.com are they reuseable? I just bought a 2 micron water filter from lowes its just staying in there, should i mix it with some diesel to thin it up a bit? i would really like to make a good system but the word cheap must be inserted in, unfortunately.

welcome, i am not sure about the vegpower filters but even if the john deer filters are only 10-15 mic rating they would be a good first filter to run through before they hit the finer 2 mic filter. some of use here use sock filters but i personnally havent. i am not sure what you mean by re-usable, i use the filters until they dont flow well anymore. not just one batch and done.

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the sock filters... in 10micron rating... haven't passed a lot of oil through the first one but seems to work pretty well. I'm also ordering the 1m filters to do as secondary filtration

lazyscholar

Reaction score
by reuseable i was talking about the sock filters as in say it filters to 5 micron if it starts flowing bad can you turn a water hose or something to it to get any of the 5 micron or higher out of the bag and reuse. I think I'm going to buy 3 $2 fram fuel filters from wal mart and then send it through a wix fuel filter for my truck. Ah wix, always makes it leak at the hookup, but good enough to use to pre filter oil before i put in my tank. lol.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I processed 20L tonight and dumped it in the rear tank for fill-up day tommorow, took 30 minutes to run the 20L through twice at 40psi....Now for the test run. I'll start it and shut it off on straight diesel in the front tank until the winter temps are over.:rolleyes: I have a special blend of 15w-40, ATF, 10w-30 and HYD-32....Let's see Exxon sell that....:rotflmao

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger