093 up pipe leak? Possible Manifold swap?

8seconds

Looking to Modify
Reaction score
In post #7, you stated "donut".

Are you referring to a exhaust gasket called a "donut" or the formed metal of the exhaust manifold. My thought is that no gasket is supposed to be there, someone
correct me if I'm wrong. If there is a "donut" gasket between the manifold and the up pipe, this would make the two half of the up pipe not meet correctly.

JMTCW.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah when I'm referring to a "donut", it's the raised part of the manifold that the cast y-pipe seals to. There are no gaskets or donuts anywhere in the bottom of this system.

I had thought about turbo clocking, but the up-pipe that connects to the turbo seems to nest around the engine nice and tight. Also this was a factory ford NOS turbo and I'm guessing ford had these clocked right. The intake side required no clocking to fit nice.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
with both the up-pipe and y-collector off the engine/turbo to they go all the way together or at least like the other up-pipes you have pictured? i got brand spankin' new pipes from Russ last fall, and they fit tight ass can be, but i was still able to get them all the way together even crawling around under the truck.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah they will go together tight if I don't try to seat them on the manifold. But when trying to seat the bottom cast pipe to the manifold it doesn't fit.

What I've done is get the bottom piece very loosely bolted to the manifold. Use a hammer and punch to drive it into the top pipe. It drives deep while loosely bolted. But when i put the exhaust manifold bolts tight it pulls the bottom cast piece down out of the top piece. If that makes any sense.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your manifold has been surfaced for any reason, it could be ever so slightly angled away at the bottom and that would move the Y away quite a bit. Only thing coming to mind at the moment.

jbm6900

Reaction score
Ok I've still got a leak on the up pipe. I've beat it together and it seats well, but won't bolt to the manifold. My question to the group is how consistently are the exhaust manifolds machined? Is there a chance my exhaust manifold is machined poorly and not letting the bottom piece of the up pipe mount? Has anyone ran into that before?

A bad manifold seems like a long shot, but...I'm out of ideas.

Dunno if this will help ya, But I just had mine apart 2 do head gskts. Got 183k mi on it. Had alot of rust & scale on all exh components, played hell gettin up pipe apart. While apart, I took a needle scaler to ALL mating surfaces, including slip joint. Reassembly used LOTS copper anti seize @ slip, all went 2gether well, no hammering, & surprisingly no leaks.
I'm guessin havin a more open than factory exh prob helps get the gasses outa the engine too.

Last edited:

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah when I had these apart I descaled it and put a ton of antisieze in there also. I'm going to try and crawl under there tonight again to check it out. I'm wondering if the drone I get is the 3" down pipe touching the cab versus the up pipe being a leak? We will see. I'm also wondering about gear roll over noise since I did a SMF conversion at the same time also. And I know I have tranny noise now also.

Thanks for the comments guys! If I figure this out definitively I'll try to post pictures.

jbm6900

Reaction score
If u got a leak, u'll see black evidence. I'd def do what it takes 2 get the pipe off the cab, thats a big no no...