05 FL Sportchassis cAt problems LONG

Dualie

pyromaniac at large
Reaction score
2 different Friends of mine didn't listen and bought a 2005 Freightliner M2 Sportchassis powered by a C-7 300HP Caterpillar and an Allison 6 speeds.

FIRST problem was on the way back from Denver to so-cal one of the turbo's in the dual turbo ACERT config basically exploded completely fragged the compressor side of the turbo and sent the pieces down stream. Truck has 11,000 miles towing 7 horse sundowner.

Crawled off the side of the high way found stalls for 7 horses in some town 100 Miles from pueblo. Had to have it flat bedded to the 100 miles to pueblo to the cat dealer and 2 days later its fixed.

Apparently this is Common problem with the new C-7 ACERT's the field mech. from the tow company knew what exactly it was went right to it pulled the turbo hoses off and went YEP THREES your problem.

Now if this is a common problem is there any way to get the CAT or Freightliner dealer to replace the turbo on the other one before it ***** the bed? the other one has under 5,000 miles on it.

Second Performance problem is that when the 2 trucks are following each other, The one with the blown turbo, both before and after turbo replacement will only keep up with the other one if the cruise is set. IF the driver just has it floored then the other one will flat leave it. Both loads within 1000 Lbs. Of each other. ON identically spec'ed trucks.

BUT hears the odd part if you set the cruise control at 75 when you come down the other side of the hill it will keep up with the other truck on every hill as long as the cruise is set.

Next MAJOR concern is that when you set the park brake ON both trucks and wait till you hear all the air release it will still roll forward for up to 5 full seconds if you take your foot off the service brake. Lets just say that the better half didn't find it funny when the truck rolled towards her after parking at a rest stop.

The maxi's should react way quicker than that shouldn't they ever other air brake vehicle I have driven you pull the button out and it will stay put where you leave it.

Last concern is that the truck with 11,000 miles the dash rattles like no other and on a $94,000 truck I find this completely Unacceptable.

I really wish people would come to me BEFORE THEY BUY there new truck instead of after when they find out its a POS.

My answer to all the above problems was to sell ASAP and take the loss and get a new International 4300 HT530 4door and have and upfitter customize it to suite.

Or new KW T300 Cummins or Pete 335 like dads with a Cummins. JUST NOT a fan of cats ACERT technology.

ANY comments, experiences and help will be appreciated.

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
I doubt you will get the m to replace the turbo on the 2nd truck if nothing is wrong yet. They dont make any $$$ changing parts that arent broken.

The truck that pulls better with hte cruise on should be reprogrammed. It sounds like it is set to a higher HP with cruise than with the go pedal (farly common). It can be changed with a simple software change.

The parking brake function could be delayed because of a muffler on the dump valve under the truck or just a restricted exhaust port on the valve. The air rush you hear in the dash is only part of the whole process. It could also be that the rear brakes are in need of adjustment. Even if the truck is near new that does not mean the btrakes are adjusted properly.

The ratling noise is just a charecteristic of Freighshaker. I don't think there is anything that will permanantly stop that. Just adress the squeeks and rattles as they come.
Good Luck
Ken